Interior question (pics)

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I have a 67 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback and was wondering what suppose to be on the rear deck panel that lets up and down. Right now it is a piece of plywood and I'm not sure if that is correct but it does a good job separating the back section from the trunk. Is the plywood suppose to be wrap in carpet or something else? Also I'm thinking that carpet goes down on the floor of the back section and it just had been removed and threw away. The reason I'm asking is because I've never seen the interior of another fastback and want to get it looking like ma Mopar had it.

Cuda boot area 069.jpg

Cuda boot area 070.jpg

Cuda boot area 071.jpg

Should be carpet on the floor and the ply wood. Some cars (deluxe interior?) had carpet on the side panels also.

Saw one at the Nat's......had carpet on the side toward the interior
and had what looked like to be a black tar paper or something
similar on the back side. The plywood had been covered on the backside and looked much better than mine, which is painted black plywood.

Saw one at the Nat's......had carpet on the side toward the interior
and had what looked like to be a black tar paper or something
similar on the back side. The plywood had been covered on the backside and looked much better than mine, which is painted black plywood.

I just looked on Auto Custom Carpets web site and they want $344 for the cargo area carpet. WOW!

There is not a picture of it so I'm not sure if it covers the sides or the plywood. I guess if I just wrap something on the plywood I will be happy.

Thats got to be for the complete carpet kit, front to rear. It should be 6 pieces.

Stat away from ACC anyways, There black carpet turns purple fast. Trim Parts is better.

Wait a second I was wrong I think. Here is the prices for 4-speed carpet.

1967 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA FASTBACK CARPET REAR CARGO AREA $344.15

1967 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA 4 SPEED CARPET COMPLETE $592.23

Thats still over priced.

Yeah you're right.

The carpet in the passenger area is new. I just need the carpet in the cargo area. I might as well buy in yards and cut it to fit. Might be cheaper that way but I need to find out how much it will take and compare.

Thanks for the help.

I just purchased a roll of black car carpet from an auto parts store. I did the whole cargo area with it. Mine had faded to brown from the sunlight since this area receives the most sunlight. It was easy to do. I just used the old pieces to trace on the new carpet. It cost me around 50$.

Oh, and yes, the plywood piece is carpeted like Adam said. There should be black trim pieces on the outer edges of the plywood.

I just purchased a roll of black car carpet from an auto parts store. I did the whole cargo area with it. Mine had faded to brown from the sunlight since this area receives the most sunlight. It was easy to do. I just used the old pieces to trace on the new carpet. It cost me around 50$.

Oh, and yes, the plywood piece is carpeted like Adam said. There should be black trim pieces on the outer edges of the plywood.

Dang it ...no outer trim on the edges of plywood.

Questions:

1 What do the outer trim pieces look like? I mean is there something that they remind you of that I can buy now days to put around the plywood?

2 Does the carpet roll up on the plywood from the cargo area or is the cargo area and the plywood two separate carpet pieces? (I hope you understand that question)

3 I've noticed that there is a chrome strip with screws on the cargo floor up front toward the fold down seat. Does the carpet need to go under it and then the chrome strip screwed down?

4 Where does the carpet need to end on both sides (left and Right) of the cargo floor ? Underneath the side panels I'm guessing.

I know that's a lot of questions (LOL) but I've got to ask them if I want my car to original as much as possible on the interior.

go to www.stockinteriors.com and check out their pricing. its trim parts stuff. the bottom floor behind the rear seat i put a thin piece of masonite glued down and the back of the rear seat i put acid free chipboard/mounting board from an art supply store there to give a flat surface for the carpet.

here are a few of my back area............not me, the car!!!!!!!

DSC00392 (Small).JPG

DSC00448 (Small).JPG

DSC00449 (Small).JPG

DSC00451 (Small).JPG

1. The outer trim pieces are 3 of them, mine are black steel. They cover the edges of the plywood & overlap the carpet. Not sure what else you could use there.

2. The plywood & cargo area floor are two separate pieces. The carpet sits flush with the side panels on mine. Tucking it between the floor & side panels is okay too I think. The chrome trim covers the carpet edges.

3. The rear seatback. The chrome trim needs to fit over the carpet edges. You'll see it when you remove the old piece if it was installed correctly. The seatback latch needs to come off too. Carpet will need to be cut around that opening.

Hope that helps.

There was a carpet delete option, there's a '67 here in town with that. It's got this black cardboard/tar paper stuff back there. He's also got fold down seat delete....yup, the rear seat does not fold down. It's fixed.

go to www.stockinteriors.com and check out their pricing. its trim parts stuff. the bottom floor behind the rear seat i put a thin piece of masonite glued down and the back of the rear seat i put acid free chipboard/mounting board from an art supply store there to give a flat surface for the carpet.

here are a few of my back area............not me, the car!!!!!!!

Wow! That looks really good.

Thanks a million for the pictures. Pictures saved in my Barracuda file:cheers:

Now I've got in my head how it needs to look. I like the idea of the thin piece of masonite and chipboard.

1. The outer trim pieces are 3 of them, mine are black steel. They cover the edges of the plywood & overlap the carpet. Not sure what else you could use there.

2. The plywood & cargo area floor are two separate pieces. The carpet sits flush with the side panels on mine. Tucking it between the floor & side panels is okay too I think. The chrome trim covers the carpet edges.

3. The rear seatback. The chrome trim needs to fit over the carpet edges. You'll see it when you remove the old piece if it was installed correctly. The seatback latch needs to come off too. Carpet will need to be cut around that opening.

Hope that helps.

I bet you mine came with the carpet delete is why the trim is missing. There is no sign of carpet ever being back there. I believe there was once that black cardboard/felt type stuff.

Thanks!

I bet you mine came with the carpet delete is why the trim is missing. There is no sign of carpet ever being back there. I believe there was once that black cardboard/felt type stuff.

Thanks!

That's the first I heard of a carpet delete option. I'm sure it is true though.

In your case I can't see why the fold down seat back would be carpeted, and not the rest of the cargo area. If the plywood looks original with no signs of screw holes in it, you may have the proper answer (delete option).

Too bad the build sheets are usually missing or destroyed before we get the cars. It would make it easier to know what was correct for our cars. Previous owners almost always make changes to the cars.

The seller was trying to sell mine as a Formula S. It even has a Formula S badge on the trunk trim panel that is not correct for the car. I checked the VIN before the purchase.

There was a carpet delete option, there's a '67 here in town with that. It's got this black cardboard/tar paper stuff back there. He's also got fold down seat delete....yup, the rear seat does not fold down. It's fixed.

I never heard of that and I dont see anything listed in any of my reference material. In 69 The fold down seat became an option and the black material sounds like what they used under the carpet.

In your case I can't see why the fold down seat back would be carpeted, and not the rest of the cargo area. If the plywood looks original with no signs of screw holes in it, you may have the proper answer (delete option).

I checked the plywood edges for screw holes this morning where the trim would be mounted. No holes so I don't think there was ever any trim from the start.

I've never heard or have seen a carpet delete option either, although I am sure anything is possible. I have owned about 9 or 10 67-69 fastbacks. All of my 67/68 cars had foldown rear seats, although not all had the carpet on the sides of the compartment. They all had the carpet on the bottom, and trunk divider panel. All had the trim pieces on the trunk divider panel. Adam is correct that in 69 the fold down rear seat became an option. My 69 M code has the non-foldown rear seat. Just my .0214¢ (thats Canadian of course).

Grant

-
Back