Intermittent spark loss - then OK.

-

scamp80602

Life Long MOPAR Man
Reaction score
1975 Scamp 318 - no mods, all original.

Just started having issues that I've narrowed down to no spark. It's happened as follows 5 times now, thankfully, in the garage every time: When cold after sitting for 2-3 days it will start perfectly and after idling for about a minute, it will stop cold. At that point, no spark at front right plug. when trying to restart. If I wait an hour - sometimes less - it will start right up, and be fine - stopping and restarting multiple times with no problem.

No problem with starter circuit - turns over every time

Today, after reading several great posts here on the subject of no spark, I made sure my grounds to the ECU, voltage regulator, firewall, and alternator were sound, and checked continuity of the distributor mag sensor. I also took the service manual and made ignition circuit resistance and voltage measurements during normal operation - with the car running and then with car stopped with ignition on - so I could compare during failure mode. Voltage readings were not different at coil, ECU, and ballast when it did fail again - ignition on at the time of failure testing.

I have a spare ECU, and will sub that the next time it fails.

I think I did correlate starting with disconnecting the alternator on several occasions, but that was early on, and it may have been flooded just prior - can't be entirely sure about this.

What I've done:
new ballast, and plug wires just installed - cap, rotor, ECU, voltage reg, battery 1500 miles ago.

I don't suspect a distributor rotation issue - runs fine when it runs.

I do suspect magnetic sensor, and the coil - both original. I have both on order.

It would be so much easier to fix, if whatever it is just broke completely - I hate chasing intermittents.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed - Thanks!

I had a simular situation that turned out to be the reluctor coil. There is a resistance range for this coil, and the defective part was out of range. Hope this helps!

Thanks bvt69dart, that does help. I just got a replacement coil assy from NAPA today. I JUST found out by reading the service manual, that the distributor needs to come out in order to replace it. Do you happen to have a distributor wrench handy???

This problem ended up being the new made in Mexico ECU that I bought on Ebay, because it was black and looked like an original NOS ECU. It was intermittent. I sanded down an Orange ECU and painted it black and put the decal on it - works fine, and looks stock.

-
Back