Ireland....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Anyone ever been there? I am not one for traveling....but it is one place I would like to visit before I am put on a shelf in an urn one day. A friend went on a 3 week hike thru the country side several years back with a few of his buddies....hating having to come back to the States....He made mention that when he retired he was going to try & relocate over there....don't know if he ever did....

Anyone ever been there? I am not one for traveling....but it is one place I would like to visit before I am put on a shelf in an urn one day. A friend went on a 3 week hike thru the country side several years back with a few of his buddies....hating having to come back to the States....He made mention that when he retired he was going to try & relocate over there....don't know if he ever did....
Must be the Irish u m- lad , dia duit------bob

I've been there, it is a lovely place. Northern Ireland was a little different, police patrolled in pairs and chain link around their stations. I had no problem though. Go to southern Ireland first, try to get a tour. It's great to have a guide to explain the history. The food was good, I tried a stuffed potato there. That's a baked potato with baked beans over it. Just the thing to eat before getting back on the tour bus. We had a afternoon at the Bushmills distillery, I think it was fun??? The people are friendly and the country side is beautiful. Spend some time in the pubs, they are so different then anything I've seen here. My great grandfather came over at the turn of the century so it was a must do for me.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• 12_11b.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 26_24a (3).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 12_09.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 215
I've never been to Ireland, but it looks like a nice place to visit. I had a good friend in high school who was Irish.

However, I have "participated" in some "yoga" classes at the local "Irish gym"....

Irish Yoga :D That's a good one.

....but it is one place I would like to visit before I am put on a shelf in an urn one day

At least you apparently have someone that will put you on a shelf. :supz:

I have never been, but it is first on mylist of places to go if I can ever afford to do any traveling.

My wife went last year to Cork, Ireland for a few days and she loved it. Visited the Jameson Distillery, Blarney castle and some big market that I can't remember the name of it.
I will go with her some day. Hopefully soon

Ink-My dad and brother went over because that's originally where we are from and they have been all around the world and said it was the best and most beautiful place they had been--Steve

I've been to Ireland twice, my father was born and raised in Killybegs county Donegal. My first cousin took me on a sight seeing tour where no tour bus would be able to go. The scenic surroundings my eyeballs were being subjected too was mind blowing, every turn was like a scene from a postcard or travel book, it was so beautiful one might say it was over whelming, felt like I was on a different planet.

Yep,
But I wasn't as enamored with the place as others are. Bathroom tile is a unknown concept there. Keep in mind I had no ties there and I don't drink. The food was fatty or fish. Now I wasn't in the tourist area, I was staying at a port city called Limerick on the east coast. Dublin is where the "leprechauns" and the rest of the Irishy crap is.
I was there for the same reason most guys do stupid stuff when their young, a girl.
She was a Irish national that I meet in Germany when I was in the Army. I spent 2 weeks with her, I kept in touch, but never went back.

I've been twice. Southern Ireland, not northern. First was a tour of the whole country, spent 8 days seeing Dublin, Cork, Kilarney, Galway, pretty much all the major towns. Saw the Cliffs of Moher, Blarney castle, all the touristy spots.

Second time I went for 9 days and basically just stayed in Dublin. Hit the Guinness brewery, Jameson distillery, and just hung out around town. It's an amazing place, incredible sense of history just being there. "Old" things here in the US are practically new compared to a lot of things there, piece of cake to walk into a random pub over there that's been there for 300+ years.

The people are incredible. Friendly, easy going, very welcoming. The whole place operates on a different schedule than here, much more relaxed.

I'll post some pictures up in a bit. If the weather were any little better, I would have already moved. Not much of a car culture though, that would be hard.

Here's some pictures from my trips

St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin

IMG_0016_zps0b7ca001.jpg

Blarney Castle

IMG_0125_zps4a6525cd.jpg

Some of the Irish countryside

IMG_0135_zpsf7432159.jpg

Outside of Wicklow
IMG_2879_zpsdd37ff5c.jpg

Some of the cost, this is actually shot from the bus. You can see the blur on the fencepost in the foreground. This is near Waterville.

IMG_0212_zps14935751.jpg

Cliffs of Moher

IMG_0402CR2_zpsb8a4dfe2.jpg

Dublin from the viewing room at the top of the Guinness brewery

IMG_2662_zps1d7f572e.jpg

My wife and I went to Ireland and Scotland on a cruise. It was very nice and would visit there again in a heartbeat!

It's on my bucket list. I've always wanted to go to Ireland and drink a beer in one of those old pubs with the regulars there and just listen to them talk.

Here's some pictures from my trips

St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin

IMG_0016_zps0b7ca001.jpg

Blarney Castle

IMG_0125_zps4a6525cd.jpg

Some of the Irish countryside

IMG_0135_zpsf7432159.jpg

Outside of Wicklow
IMG_2879_zpsdd37ff5c.jpg

Some of the cost, this is actually shot from the bus. You can see the blur on the fencepost in the foreground. This is near Waterville.

IMG_0212_zps14935751.jpg

Cliffs of Moher

IMG_0402CR2_zpsb8a4dfe2.jpg

Dublin from the viewing room at the top of the Guinness brewery

IMG_2662_zps1d7f572e.jpg

WHAT??? did you take pictures of post cards... you are a good photog.. good eye bro:supz:

WHAT??? did you take pictures of post cards... you are a good photog.. good eye bro:supz:

Thanks! If you think those look good, you should see the originals. The ones I posted are shrunk down to 900x600 pixels. The originals are 4752x3162, and are about 20mb each.

They're shot with a Canon Rebel T1i, shooting in "raw" format. With a 32 gig memory card.

Don't let the photog's fool you. Yes, having a decent idea of lighting and what/when to take pictures is important, but the REAL trick is to take a CRAPLOAD of pictures.

I posted 7 photo's, I took almost 600. :D I mean, I have a lot more that look great too, but there were also probably a hundred or so that were junk.

I was kind of a political prisoner there in 06 I think it was. Flying home from the sandbox on a EC-130 and the #2 motor had hyd fluid pissing out as fast as we could fill it. Had to fill the reservoir 2x during the flight Little nerve racking with a stream of fluid coming out, We were so heavy we really needed the motor until we could dump fuel and flares/chaff. Had to dump 120k of fuel and land in Shannon. The Irish are great and the country is beautiful, but every country has their nuts. Read attached. http://www.indymedia.ie/article/73658 I really want to go back as a civilian and see much more of the country. To this day I cannot drink any Guiness any more due to boredom overload while there. We had two policemen assigned to us 24/7 to keep any nuts away. They definitely got a view of bored Americans after 17 days.

Thanks! If you think those look good, you should see the originals. The ones I posted are shrunk down to 900x600 pixels. The originals are 4752x3162, and are about 20mb each.

They're shot with a Canon Rebel T1i, shooting in "raw" format. With a 32 gig memory card.

Don't let the photog's fool you. Yes, having a decent idea of lighting and what/when to take pictures is important, but the REAL trick is to take a CRAPLOAD of pictures.

I posted 7 photo's, I took almost 600. :D I mean, I have a lot more that look great too, but there were also probably a hundred or so that were junk.

take as many pics as you want, your composition is still great, how you centre your shot and include what you want in your pic... truely magnificent... if your not a pro photog ya might be missing your calling..... or maybe ya just like being a car guy like the rest of us

-
Back