Is 6* advanced ok?

-

KenZ

Reaction score
After degreeing the cam in my daughter's 318, we found it to be 2 * retarded. (109 vs 107 per cam card)
Fellow member 340Sixpack sent us a 4* offset cam keyway. For free I might add.

:thumrigh:

When we installed it and rechecked it, the cam is now 6* advanced (101 vs 107). Is this correct that it would change double? Or are we doing something wrong?

And, if correct, is 6* advanced okay?

It's a stock rebuild 68 318. The pistons are .050 in the hole and we have the thin Mr. Gasket head gaskets. If we calculated it correctly, compression should be 8.7 to 1. The cam is the small Summit cam, 204/214 duration, 420/442 lift. The engine is going into a 73 Duster, 904 & 3.21 gears. It'll be my daughter's daily driver.

We appreciate any input and/or suggestions.
Thanks,
Ken (& Heather)

Ken you did it right. I have noticed the keys always advance it double what their spec'd at. Personally 4 degrees is the most I'd ever consider varying but that's my opinion. You need a 1 degree key to get it right on but with low compression small cube engine I wouldn't hesitate advancing it another couple degrees for more torque so a 2 degree key would work fine too. I have some keys in my degree kit but don't remember which ones they are. How much of a hurry are you in? I can look tomorrow morn. and let you know what I have. If I have one I can stick it in a priority envelope first thing tues. morn. It'll only cost you about $5 and you'll have it before the end of the week.

Fishy68,

Thanks. I think I have a 2* key already. I thought I needed a 4* to get it where I wanted it to be.

:)

If I can't find it, I'll get in touch with you. Thanks for the offer.

Thanks again,
Ken

-
Back