Is 7" too much...

-

63'valiant

Going Topless
Reaction score
I know she doesn't think so! but on to my question...

I have a 63' Valiant. I want to keep it fairly original, but I would like to put on a nice set of aftermarket tires and wheels. I am willing to put in a set of air shocks to get it done, but other than that I don't really want to be busting up the stock suspension.

I am sure this question has been asked a thousand times.
What is the largest size wheel I can get on the back end?
Will a 14x7" rim fit?
What about a 15x7"
Can I squeeze a 225/50R14 or 225/50R15 in there?

I am planning a 14x6" 195/55R14 for the front, pretty sure that should be fine, am I right on this?

Any help would be GREATLY apreciated.
Thanks

I have a 63' Valiant. I want to keep it fairly original, but I would like to put on a nice set of aftermarket tires and wheels. I am willing to put in a set of air shocks to get it done, but other than that I don't really want to be busting up the stock suspension.

Will a 14x7" rim fit?
What about a 15x7"

I am planning a 14x6" 195/55R14 for the front, pretty sure that should be fine, am I right on this?

Thanks
Im running 15x7 steelies and 8.5 drag slicks on my 1964 Dart at stock suspension height ,but its very close to the springs and inner fenders (maybe 1/2 inch clearence on each side).Hope this helps you on you Valiant ...

Hi,
I've been excited about getting new tires and have posted this photo a couple times already but as your car should have the same basic configuration, I'll post it again so you can get an idea what's possible.
I just put 4 235/60/14's on my 1964 Dart GT and the wheel wells are full to the brim. nothing rubs even going around corners but you wouldn't really be able to get anything wider than the 235's and not too much taller than this combo. I posted in this forum earlier a list of tire combinations and their respective heights.
here is the photo of my Dart taken today.
P1020417.jpg

I also have a 63 Valiant. ran 225/60/15 on 15x7 wheel with 4 1/4'' backspace. Stock suspension.The tires rubbed on the outside on turns with 4 people in the car. You can work the inner rear fender a little with a hammer for some more clearance. Backspace is the key. Most aftermarket wheels have 4'' or less and will cause a problem. If ordering aftermarket see if you can choose. If I had to do it again I would choose 4 1/2'' backspace.

you guys are great!
thanks!
i am going to have to order these online so the more information i have the better!
returning mail order is a pain in the ***!:bootysha:

I also have a 63 Valiant. ran 225/60/15 on 15x7 wheel with 4 1/4'' backspace. Stock suspension.The tires rubbed on the outside on turns with 4 people in the car. You can work the inner rear fender a little with a hammer for some more clearance. Backspace is the key. Most aftermarket wheels have 4'' or less and will cause a problem. If ordering aftermarket see if you can choose. If I had to do it again I would choose 4 1/2'' backspace.

is that just the front tire that rub on turns?
do the back tires have good clearance when turning with the body roll?

The fronts were 215/60/15 and I had to roll the fender lip to gain some clearance.Like stated earlier the rear only rubbed with 4 people in the car.
Stock height, stock suspension, stock 9"drum brakes.The wheels were chorme steelies from Stockton Wheel small bolt pattern.

where did you buy the uniroyals at, don't see those much in my area
I had them ordered through a local tire store. the only reason I went with them is they were cheaper. as it turns out they look pretty good. so if you're interested, call your local tire store and ask if they can get them.
I remember back in the day the old commercials with Uni, Roy and Al. :-D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql123u7WSJo

Will a 14x7" rim fit?
What about a 15x7"

Thanks

I run 15x7 with 4 1/2 backspacing on mine and have no issues--They used to be 14". I know mine is newer but the frame is the same. 15;s on a Valiant look good too.

I had them ordered through a local tire store. the only reason I went with them is they were cheaper. as it turns out they look pretty good. so if you're interested, call your local tire store and ask if they can get them.
I remember back in the day the old commercials with Uni, Roy and Al. :-D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql123u7WSJo

Sure Do man I must be old lol , how do those tires handle the rain? my bfg radial TA's are garbage on wet pavement but they were the biggest 14" I could find around here at 245/60/14 , it might be worth going down a little in size for some decent wet weather traction

I've only had them on the car for a week or so. I have no idea how they really handle. I'm planning a set of KYB's and maybe a sway bar. and just for the info I'm running stock 5 1/2" rims, I'm not sure why you would want wheels as wide as 7", stock 6" wheels should be fine.

-
Back