Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
Ok, Right now I've got (wheels are Weld Draglites):

Front: 215/60R15 on 15x7
Rear: 235/60R15 on 15x8

My plan was:

Front: 235/60R15
Rear: 255/60R15

BUT, do you think I can fit 295/50R15 rears under my '75 Dart Sport? The rear springs are already relocated, and are flush with inside wheel well. I was going to minitub it, but there is no real point IHO if they are flush with the springs.

I will of course have Discount Tire mock up the tires if there is a chance. But if my answer here is "hell no" maybe I shouldn't bother. Currently I have all BFG T/As, but I was thinking about going to Mickey Thompson Sportsman Radials (26x8x15 and 26x10x15 or 26x12x15).

I used to have that size on my 75 duster, on 10" aluminum slot wheels....stock spring location...they were maybe 1/4" from the spring and hung out a couple inches past the quarter panel...
got rid of them when we did the body over, as they would ocassionally fetch up in the quarter

That is part of my concern, but if I roll the wheel well lip, I should be OK on the outside.

its a good question..........

With a relocated spring and the proper back space.............it sounds possible.

We tried a set on my freinds Dart Sport on a 15X8" rim with 4.5" back spacing but they didnt fit. That car didnt have the springs moved. With them moved in the should have cleared the springs.

Well, maybe it's worth a try. Not going to do it right away..I need to take care of this 518 thing first.

The strange thing is, I have 15x8 Draglites with 265/50's. All I did was trim the wheel well lips down and my tires fit. If I had another 1/4" backspacing, I could have gotten 275's in there (I still may). I have always heard that Dusters had much more room than Darts, I have seen plenty of Darts with 275's. Its become obvious the you need to measure and see what fits, it seems that everyone has different results.

axle002.jpg

100_0563.jpg

100_0570.jpg

Interesting..your 265s look much tighter than I expected. Your springs are relocated I take it?

A 295 tire will be around 2"-3" wider than a 235. Figure that half will be on the inside and half on the outside. so... 1"-1 1/2" wider on both sides. Get out the tapemeasure. I have 275-60-15's on my duster which has the 1 inch offset package on it.

2.3" wider, to be exact. I did a quick tape measure thing and and it'll be close. Tire shape will have lots ot do with it.

If I go BFGs, Discount has those and I can usually get them to mock them up for me. Unfortunately to go with MT S/Rs, they are usually special order, so I have no way to make SURE they fit without buying them. On the plus side they give better measurements (all standard).

If nothing else I may go with 26x8x15 in the front and 26x10x15 in the rear with the Mickeys. When it's all said and done, I'll post my results and pics to answer other peeps questions about it.

OK I measured it out with a few pics...Safe to say 295s will not fit without A) going to less backspace and cutting up the wheel well lip. OR B) moving my springs in even farther. One of the following pics shows my spring in line with my wheel well, so no point in a mini-tub. Two pics show how a 26x10 would fit based on the centerline of my current tire. One shows how VERY close a 295 would fit to the spring (too close for me). I think a set of these in 26x10x15 will look cool enough:

sportsman_sr_rear.jpg

295-50-15 will fit under a 73 duster with stock spring location and does not sticking the side of the car.i have a set on my duster.they do not rub the springs and are pretty much flush with the fender well.they do not stick out the side.they are mounted on a set of 15x8 1/2 or 9 in slotted wheels.they really make the car look agressive the that size of tire under it.

superdart said:
2.3" wider, to be exact. I did a quick tape measure thing and and it'll be close. Tire shape will have lots ot do with it.

If I go BFGs, Discount has those and I can usually get them to mock them up for me. Unfortunately to go with MT S/Rs, they are usually special order, so I have no way to make SURE they fit without buying them. On the plus side they give better measurements (all standard).

If nothing else I may go with 26x8x15 in the front and 26x10x15 in the rear with the Mickeys. When it's all said and done, I'll post my results and pics to answer other peeps questions about it.

My springs are not relocated. If I did I could fit more tire.

As far as locally, Lonestar Performance (Mustangs) in Garland has many M&H and MT tires in stock, I have gone there a couple of times to measure tires.

Regardless of the setup, I wouldn't run anything with less than an inch of clearance, either to the springs or the fender. You have to allow for tire flex under both lateral and acceleration loads.

I find it interesting that your prings are NOT relocated and they springs are even with the inner wheel well, while mine ARE relocated to get to the same postion.

I think I'll stick with 26x10s and be happy.

Thats one of the weird things about a-bodies, The measurements I took don't seem to jibe with other people's. I am going to go out on a limb and say that every body style of a-body is different, pre 67, 67-69 dart, 67-69 baracuda, 67-69 valiant, 70-76 duster, demon, dart sport, etc... they all seem to be different. I am also willing to bet that production variences and inner structures must be different too. Thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

74360duster said:
295-50-15 will fit under a 73 duster with stock spring location and does not sticking the side of the car.i have a set on my duster.they do not rub the springs and are pretty much flush with the fender well.they do not stick out the side.they are mounted on a set of 15x8 1/2 or 9 in slotted wheels.they really make the car look agressive the that size of tire under it.

Do you have a couple of pics of your set-up? I have a '73 Dart Sport and am wanting to run an old set of E-T mags that are 15 x 8 1/2 with 4.75 backspace. It looks like these will put a 295-15 tire even with the outside of the wheel lip which won't work without jacking the rear up somehow.
Thanks,
Dallas
missourimopar.com

i had old school L60's that my dad gave me stuffed in my 72 duster after i rolled the lip back an flipped the front spring hanger it looked killer an worked,an L60 is the same as a 295/60 15

L60 is closer to a 275/60 a 295-60 is almost 30" tall. It would never fit on a Dart with out lots of work.

i have a set of L60 MT's sportman I's an there bigger then my buddies 295/60's on his bow tie an they fit perfect on my 72 duster

ill get some pictures posted of the 295-50-15 on my duster.ill have to get someone to upload the pictures for me.i can email them but can't seem to get them on our site.give me a couple of weeks waiting on my rebuilt b&m trans.reverse valve body and 4800 stall convertor.he he he..but ill get some posted if someone is willing to load them for me.

here is a shot of my factory 74 360 duster sporting 295-50-15 tires on 15x8.5 in slots.these are not my normal wheels for this car.it sports factory ralleys.but i thought i would use this car as i can't get a good picture of them on my other car.as you will tell by the other orange duster in my shop among all my other junk.

DSC00829.JPG

DSC00830.JPG

DSC00831.JPG

DSC00832.JPG

DSC00833.JPG

Thanks for the pm and heads-up on the pics. :salute: That is exactly how I would like my '73 Dart Sport to look. :love4: Your wheels look like they come to the edge of the wheelwell like mine do so the backspacing must close to the same as mine. I need a set of those springs!
Dallas
missourimopar.com
BTW, are you going to Columbia Father's Day?

yes i will be in columbia on sunday.until noon.my twin girls 1st birthday party is sunday at 2.but will be there.i have another set of those s/s springs laying at home in the shop.i could probably part with them if needed.i am not using them.as u can see by the pics i would have to do some cleaning to get them but i did see them last weekend.

-
Back