Is a 8.25 safe with 3800 stall?

-

DEVIOUSDUSTER

Proud Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 8 1/4 rear end with 3.91 gears and just purchased a TCI Super Street Fighter torque converter that stalls to 3800 (possibly 4000). I was just wondering if anyone could gimmie an estimate on the longevity I should expect with that rear end set up? The car is set up for drag so it will see a bit of abuse.

It's not necessarily the stall speed that'll kill the rear, its the torque and HP you're trying to put through it to the pavement. What have ya got under the hood?

Terry

I have a 360 (.040) over with the primo balanced internals. 340 heads port n polished with triple coil valve springs and Crane gold adjustable rockers. .282/.510 Crane cam. The combo should be good for an estimated 400-450 hp. So let me know!

I wouldn't trust that the 8 1/4" will hold up especially with sticky tires. If you don't upgrade to a 8 3/4 then at least put in a drive shaft loop and shatter shield if you haven't allready.

Terry

Never mind not trusting the rearend,if you have'nt install the tci converter put it back in the box,and ship it back to wherever you got it and buy a GOOD one...

I currently have a 8 1/4 rear end with 3.91 gears and just purchased a TCI Super Street Fighter torque converter that stalls to 3800 (possibly 4000). I was just wondering if anyone could gimmie an estimate on the longevity I should expect with that rear end set up? The car is set up for drag so it will see a bit of abuse.

I agree. My TCI streetfighter, even after being rebuilt by PTC, has slippage aplenty. See http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=51093 for further info. When I buy another convertor, it will likely be from Dynamic, I have heard nothing but good about them.

FWIW, I switched my 8.25 to a Dana, just to be sure I had enough strength behind my 408, which has about 450 hp. No kill like Overkill!

07.jpg

The 8.25 is under rated, Im going with a 3400-3800stall BTE But Im not using slicks because I will be using the M/T Et Streets that I heard hook better than some slicks

-
Back