Is it an A518?

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
I have someone who is parting out their 95 Dodge Dakota 5.2L with auto trans is the trans an a518 or did the dakotas have different transmissions than the rams and ram vans??

As far as I know they were the same. If the pan is shaped the same as a 727, you are good. I know at some point they changed to electronic control, but I'm not sure when.

Well my Dad's 96 has a 46RE which if I'm not mistaken is a 518 with a computer controlled valve body. It had the 727 style pan gasket anyway. I'm not sure what the 95's had.

pre 96 was the non electronically control 518. anything 96 or after would need some electrical fabrication. i just sold a 96 518 due to the electronic control fabrication bing to much for me to do. good luck

Actually if it's a 95 then the tranny is a 46RH, same as a 518, they just changed the naming designation in 92. The newer designation is a smart code. 4 is for four foward speeds, 6 is the load carrying capaicity, R is for rear wheel drive and H is hydraulic control. 46RE would be the same except for the E standing for Electronic control.

Did some Dakotas come with the 42RH (904)? or were all of the V8 ones the bigger 46RH?

Chuck

The Shelby Daks were A500s from what I understand, so I suppose the early production V8 Daks were A500/42RH equipped.

-
Back