Is it OK to take .050 off the cylinder head?

-

wayneswirld2

I need a vacation...
Reaction score
I'm probably asking a dumb question cuz I'm sure it's been discussed to death, but is .050 too much from the head? I've got a blown head gasket on my 1965 Crew Cab Dodge truck with a 225 in it and I'd like to get a little more compression out of the thing. Don't really feel like pulling the engine out of it to have the block decked, so I figure I can shave the head instead.

And yep, the crew cab is going to be used to tow the 1965 Valiant to shows and stuff.....

Wayne
Austin, TX

Yes, it is fine. I've seen many heads shaved .100 or more. Pretty common practice with racers for sure. My buddy only went .060 with his and had no problems.

Some have gone as much as .150".

Is it mechanically possible without damaging the head or making problems? Yes. Is it the right idea? Maybe, could be, probably not. Just shaving this much or that much metal off the head is the wrong way to do it. You really need to calculate your combustion chamber volume accurately, factoring in the piston deck height and cylinder head gasket compressed thickness, and figure out your actual compression ratio, and then you can make a smart, informed decision as to how much to shave off the head and/or block.

compression is low balled on the 225 . Actual compression is high 7 or low 8.5 ....old time racers shaved theirs .090 to get it about 9.5 which is as high as one needs to go on an otherwise stock set up ....If it was me id go ahead and pull it and put new bearings ,oil pump ,timing set and a cam for higher torque ....dont forget new manifold bolts!:mrgreen:

Is it mechanically possible without damaging the head or making problems? Yes. Is it the right idea? Maybe, could be, probably not. Just shaving this much or that much metal off the head is the wrong way to do it. You really need to calculate your combustion chamber volume accurately, factoring in the piston deck height and cylinder head gasket compressed thickness, and figure out your actual compression ratio, and then you can make a smart, informed decision as to how much to shave off the head and/or block.

nail on the head!

compression is low balled on the 225 . Actual compression is high 7 or low 8.5 ....old time racers shaved theirs .090 to get it about 9.5 which is as high as one needs to go on an otherwise stock set up ....If it was me id go ahead and pull it and put new bearings ,oil pump ,timing set and a cam for higher torque ....dont forget new manifold bolts!:mrgreen:

you have to know how far the piston is in the hole because from the factory they could have been from .140 to .210 is alot of difference in compression...

Another factor to consider is how worn is the rest of the engine? A sudden increase in compression in a used motor can cause a previously fine engine to begin consuming oil. For this reason I will never do a valve job/lap the valves on a motor unless I'm replacing the rings too.

-
Back