Is it possible to convert my 7 1/4 rear from

-
i have the adapters to convert from 4 to 4.5. . they are on my 8 3/4 theyre about an inch thick they came on my duster when i bought it 4 years ago but im sure u can find them for sale

Sorry, 8 3/4" axles won't work in a 7 1/4" rear end. From 1973-1976 disc brake equipped A bodies had 7 1/4" rear ends with big bolt pattern brakes. Unfortunately, the axles are too short to swap into your current housing so if you want to go with that, you will need to swap a complete rear end from a donor car. Your next option is to find and swap in an 8 1/4" rear from a '73-'76 A body. Watch out for the ones with the 2.45 to 1 ratio since that is the only ring and pinion you can use with that carrier. Try to find one with 2.76 or higher numerically gearing since you can swap in the ratio of your choice without buying a new carrier. With a little work an 8.8" rear from a Ferd Exploder can be used. There has been more than one thread on this site about that swap. If none of the above options are appealing, Trans Dapt has wheel adapters that don't cost an arm and a leg and your first born's nads.

If you have 9" brakes now, you need to swap entire rears like grumpuscreature said (housings were wider). If you have 10" brakes now you'll only need BBP shafts and 10" brakes from a 73-76 7 1/4 rear, which should be pretty easy to find.

Those axles won't work with a 7 1/4 housing,they're for an 8 3/4 and i wouldn't recommend wheel adapters..either get the right wheels or right axles..

This is good info...I have a 7 1/4 big bolt pattern rearend that I was debating whether to swap axles and brakes or the whole thing. Guess this answered that debate.

-
Back