Is it possible to repair a voltage limiter in the fuel gauge and if so how?

-

Chuck Bushey

Reaction score
I've determined that my gauges problem is a bad voltage limiter. Investigation shows that the wire wrapped around the bimetal strip that is supposed to pulse the 12v is broken where it attaches to the case of the fuel gauge meter. Pretty small wire, don't know anything about these, but it is clearly the problem. The wire appears that it popped - couldn't stand the 12v which would mean there is a short or something but it looks like it's supposed to go directly to ground. Anyway, anyone got any ideas on how to best fix this?

Yup. Bypass it, pump it full of "goop" or RTV to insure no shorts, and add an external one.

One of the gauge studs is 12V for power to the new one, one of the studs is the 5V to the gauges, and you'll nee to ground the new limiter

And while you're there, buy the R/T Engineering electronic voltage limiter, which is much superior to the old make-and-break type.

Thanks for the feedback. Looking online it appears a lot of different ones available. Is there anything in particular I should know on which one to get? The RTE link seems pretty straight forward fix provided I get the correct one.

-
Back