Is it worth it?

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I have just found a truck near me that I'm considering buying. It's an 89 Dodge Ram pickup, body isn't bad. But that's not why I want it. The truck was somebodys project so already swapped in is a 440/727 and 8 3/4 from some 68 car/truck. Is there anything special about the 68 440s? I mainly want it for the resr end considering it has good gears, but would it be worth it to buy the whole thing and sell off the parts?

The 1968s would have the higher compression ratio (10.1:1) if it is marked with "HP" on the stamp pad. I'm not sure what the CR would be otherwise. Also HP would have a different cam, heavier valve springs and a wind age tray. I would be very happy to have either one.

Well I called the guy, turns out that the motor is completely tore apart, and who knows if everything is there, he just put things together quickly so he could sit it in the truck, so its been sitting there for who knows how long, wants 1300 for it, id take it for a few hundred but its not worth it for that price.

I saw that truck ad as well. Lots of parts to sell or build the truck....but the engine is purely a gamble.

I saw that truck ad as well. Lots of parts to sell or build the truck....but the engine is purely a gamble.

Yea its hard to say, he said the heads were just sitting there, the the crank was just sitting inside as well, so it could be good or really rough, the 8 3/4 has 3.23 gears, and he didn't know much about the trans. If it was complete and unopened up, even kinda running I would probably take it, but Id only want it for the drivetrain so its not really worth it to me. Sure somebody will pick it up though.

-
Back