Is my alternator failing?

-

TimDart

Reaction score
My ammeter is reading negative and if i put on lights, brakes etc it reads even lower.
I only get 11.5 volts when i put a test meter across the main feed wire and the alternator body.
I have disconnected the fields wires to the regulator, but cannot get over 11.5 volts at tickover speeds.
Is my alternator failing? I had a dead short circuit a couple of weeks back (se other threaes involving fire!) and I wonder if i have damaged a diode in the alternator.
Just need to be sure before i spend $.

Could be. I'd just pop it off and go have it bench tested. Most large chain auto stores will do that for you for free.

Also, after buying my Dart, I read some of the posts on doing the amp meter wiring. Looking at the system and the potential problems I went ahead and did the modification. Glad I did. I'll probably put a volt meter out under the bonnet somewhere just to keep an eye on things, but feel better at not having such a problem area still hooked up.

Cheers

i agree. I had the same problem as what you're describing, and i took it down to a local Kragen. They did the test for free.

-
Back