Is my dash pad the wrong color?

-

Hwy145

Reaction score
I feel like it should be blue. The dash frame is blue…
IMG_2748.jpeg

If it were me I'd want it blue. Looks new, maybe replaced by previous owner. What color is the steering wheel?

I've only seen the insides of maybe two dozen A-bodies from 67>72, but I can't remember ever seeing one where the dashpad and steering wheel were not same color as dash frame.
However, the black pad looks pretty good in that there car.
But then I've also never seen;
a woodgrain console in a non-woodgrain upper dash trim. or
White upper door frames with a blue dash/carpet.

So IDK, looks like you may have something of an oddity.

Typically, the upper door frames would be the dash frame color — black on a black interior car, navy blue on a dark blue interior car. "White" interior cars were actually always two-tone — white & black, white & red, white & blue (there were no white dash frames, steering wheels or dash pads). And the steering wheel and dash pad would be coordinated with the doors. The black looks really odd with a blue console and lower dash. You could dye the dash pad with SEM paint but I don't know how well that would work with the wheel.

The white A-pillar trim is another oddity. It look like someone cobbled up an interior from two different cars. It could also be dyed.

Since nothing clashes, why worry about it? I think it's beautiful.

I think it looks good. I'm not up on the 69 and earlier A body interior colors, but I would bet the dash frame, console and carpet may have originally been black maybe?

Got a pic of the fender tag? I believe the upper door frames should be blue and will be on the tag. Yes the dash pad should be blue...

Looks like dash and doors have been painted. I think like said a black dash, console and carpet would blend it all in nice. JMO

not sure what would be "correct" but to me the dash pad and steering wheel would look much better blue. they look kinda out of place black in my opinion.

Dash and steering wheel should be blue. White interior A-bodies 67 -69, Top and bottom of doors were white same as panel 70 and 72 were black above and below the panels. 71 was not available with white interior.

Dare to be different...it looks good the way it is. I bought a 67 Coronet R/T on an online auction in Arizona. When the car arrived via carrier the face of the dash was argent rather than black. After seeing it I wouldn't have it any other way.

My fender tag says white interior door frames. I think the only thing I am looking to change is the pad and steering wheel. Now finding a clean blue horn ring may be a bit of a task….

I don't know which is correct, but in my opinion...

It's your car, and if you like it that way, and won't get all stressed-out about correctness and originality, just drive 'er and fuhgedabouttit!

I am always looking for things to change / work on. I like the car to be relatively correct, but I am not a “spark plug wires need to be date coded” kind of person. This is not a concours correct car, but something like a dash pad/ steering wheel project is enjoyable for me. Just driving and waxing the thing is kinda boring.

Unless you are going for a concours restoration, I wouldn't worry about it. As many have said, and I agree it looks great as it is.

I am always looking for things to change / work on. I like the car to be relatively correct, but I am not a “spark plug wires need to be date coded” kind of person. This is not a concours correct car, but something like a dash pad/ steering wheel project is enjoyable for me. Just driving and waxing the thing is kinda boring.
That right there is enough of an answer. Changing it because you want to. :thumbsup:

-
Back