Is my Lokar kickdown right?

-

frumharlem

Reaction score
I have a Lokar with the braided stainless sleeve. When you pull the throttle and the cable moves, the braided sleeve bunches up. I was told by a mechanic that the sleeve should not bunch up and instead the cable should slide freely and not pull the outer covering. He thinks the cable is binding up inside. I just got it only about 2 months ago.

My issue overall is that the shift point from 2nd to 3rd at wide open throttle is very late, like 4000 rpm.

Non wide open throttle the shift is at 3400 rpm.

I think I also have an ignition issue too.

It starts cold and hot fine.
But at 4000 rpm the tach needle starts shaking and the car shudders a bit and seems to detonate in the header/front exhaust.

I am told I need a new cable, preferably the black kind with the rigid outer sleeve and a MSN ignition system, to solve my spare issue at high rpm.

Any alternate opinions?

Yeah the sleeve shouldn't bunch up like that. That would certainly make things inconsistent at best. Is there any funny bend in it?

Ignition issue hard to say- distributor cap?

I don't see a bend. It's just that Lokar seems to be a highly favored brand. I was not sure if the braided cover was supposed to gather up or not, before I spend money swapping it out with a different cable.

That isn't normal. I've had mine on for 5 yrs. with no issues. I occasionally spray some graphite lube down into the cable to reduce wear. When you install it you should lube it but Lokar doesn't mention that. I wonder if the inner cable frayed and that's why it's bunching up??

-
Back