Is my tranny on its way out?

-

moparguy

Reaction score
I'm new here, and could use some help. My duster has a 727 installed by previous owner, said it had a shift kit. It has a Lokar kickdown cable and shifts at appropriate rpm. My problem is, it shift nice and firm from first to second, but feels soft from second to third(seems to be worse under heavy throttle). I changed the fluid and filter but didn't help. Could the bands need adjusting or does it need a rebuild?

you can try adjusting the bands and see where that gets you. i can look up the specs if you can't find it. i run a lokar and have tinkered with it. I have it to where it goes 1-2 somewhat 'soon' and the 2-3 is a little 'long' as in it winds up a little before it shifts, but from what i've messed with...it seems to shift for efficient/harder that way.

I have never adjusted the bands before, so any advice would be great!

The adjustment procedure is in any old mopar service manual, strongly recommend you read the procedure before doing anything.. Its really easy. There are two band adjusters one inside in the oil pan the other outside. Basically you undo the lock nut and then turn the adjustment stud in until it bottoms, then you apply a small amount of torque measured in inch lbs of torque (80 or something like that) to the adjuster and cinch down the lock nut. Please be sure to check this .. I am not 100% on the torque readings on what I just described - been too long since I did one !

-
Back