is my trans taking a dump?

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
65 valiant slant six. 904 auto.
Engine is brand new and runs very smooth in park or neutral. Once put into gear it seems to jerk more than it should into gear. And car turns from smooth to pretty bumpy. Car will shake and feel a bit rough. Only during idle. When taking off it has a flat spot that I cannot seem to get rid of with any kind of adjustment I make. But after that small flat spot it drives how it should. And problems seem to only occur during idle in gear. Is this a trans thing or torque converter? Fluid level is good during hot neutral check.

Do not know history on trans. It is a bit dirty and seems to have some sweat like residue from atf.

Almost sounds like a vacuum leak or maybe you need to have the valves adjusted. Even with a fresh engine, it's a good idea to adjust the valves after initial run in.

Well valves have already been adjusted. After break in. I have checked for intake leaks and found nothing. Like I said it only does it in gear and idle. And makes a vibration through out the car and disappears once it sees a little rpm. Runs beautiful otherwise. Doesn't make sense that it would be the motor when the trans engages then causes a kinda like thumping noise, and shake. I think reverse seems to be a little worse than forward gears

I have a 904 that is doing the same thing every so often. I can tell it is not the engine but has something to do with the transmission. I am making plans to have the transmission looked over by someone to decide if a repair or rebuild is necessary.

I've been rebuilding torqueflites for over 30 yrs. and it doesn't sound like a transmission issue to me. Sounds like it's running lean at idle and the flat spot on take off is another indicator it'd running lean. How far out do you have the air/fuel adjustment screw? Did you adjust the air/fuel adjustment screw while the car was in neutral or gear? Most people adjust them in neutral but you usually get a smoother idle adjusting it in gear cause when the engine is loaded down it takes a little more fuel.

-
Back