sharpie

workin' stiff
Reaction score
I know Haynes isn't the best way to go, but here's what I have:

'71 Demon instrument cluster wiring:

DSCN1506.jpg

Haynes states:

DSCN2546.jpg

Is it as easy as attaching the sender side of the gauges to the correct circuit (for instance, attaching the dark blue wire to the back of the sender terminal on the aftermarket gauge?), or is there something I'm missing?

Also, since the oil pressure sender and fuel sender are on the same circuit, would it be okay to attach them both to the dark blue wire?

And finally, I have no idea where on the transmission (904) the speedometer sensor is, nor do I have any idea where the oil pressure adapter (huge oil-filter-looking thing) goes. Any ideas? Thanks for all the help.

If you use the aftermarket sender that's recommended for the aftermarket gauge you using yes it's just that easy.

The oil pressure and fuel sender aren't on the same circuit. Just the ground and b+ for them is the same. The sender wire is a different wire for each. If you look at the diagram you posted you'll see the oil sender wire routes right above the fuel sender wire but it's not connected. The oil sender wire is an 18 gauge grey wire and the fuel sender is an 18 gauge dark blue wire.

The 904 is mechanical so there's no sender wire for it. It uses a cable to drive the speedometer. If you have an electric speedo you'll need to get what ever sender that company recommends to use with that particular speedo and 904 trans.

BTW: Here's a link to a site with a ton of Mopar schematic's

http://www.mymopar.com/wiringdiagrams.htm

That's exactly what I did: connect the new gauges (using their matching senders) to the original harness wiring. Everything worked perfectly. I just had to add a tach wire and wiring for the electric speedo.

-
Back