Is The 21ft Rule Out Of Date?

-
the 21 ft rule kind of contradicts the facts that 90% of gunfights occur within 10 ft , they used to train NY cops to fall back and to the side away from the hand of the shooter while throwing their free hand across their chest to protect their vitals , I had a 20 NYPD vet for a sub quite often in high school . He worked undercover the last 4 years of his career and had to shoot 2 people on different occasions, he took 1 in the free arm during the second gunfight , lucky it was a 22 short and smashed his forearm instead of punching his heart .

the 21 ft rule kind of contradicts the facts that 90% of gunfights occur within 10 ft , they used to train NY cops to fall back and to the side away from the hand of the shooter while throwing their free hand across their chest to protect their vitals , I had a 20 NYPD vet for a sub quite often in high school . He worked undercover the last 4 years of his career and had to shoot 2 people on different occasions, he took 1 in the free arm during the second gunfight , lucky it was a 22 short and smashed his forearm instead of punching his heart .

no i agree, especially if the get a jump.

The 21 foot rule has a lot of safety margin built in.

Case in point, I had a mature black bear that I almost stepped on come up at me at about 5 to 6 feet. I still had time to flip the safety off and shoot from the hip with my .270 rifle to make sure my life continued. If your handgun is in it's holster and snapped then it would take much longer to draw and shoot accurately without shooting yourself.

Jack

-
Back