Is there a drain plug for the 7 1/4 rear?

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
got to take it apart so the car will roll onto the trailer. Just wondering if the 7 1/4 has a drain plug for this or do I have to use the old "remove the lower set of bolts from the cover and slightly pry open slightly" deal?

IIRC there's a plug but it's near the top so it would not drain without tuning it upside down.So yes open up the cover and let it drain that way. The plug is to fill the housing only,unless you have a way to siphon it out.

i think the round deal is a plug you can remove Drache, as stated , you would have to suck out the old lube

Attachments

• 238a.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 191
Thanks for adding the picture,I think the plug also requires a giant torx-like wrench to remove it?

i think youre right, my 8 1/4 has a big pipe plug in it, but ive never changed the lube in my 7 1/4 LOL i will look when i go back outside

That big thing is a fill plug, and yes, a ratchet is all that is needed. It is an 8 point, but you only need to use 4.

You can probably drain most of it by removing the lowest cover bolt.

Most differentials don't have drains.

The Dana 60s used in the cars had drains on the bottom, so yes, some did, but it's not a normal thing.

I think part of it is like on an auto transmission, they want you to remove the cover, and clean it out before refilling it.

-
Back