Is there a way to get the 2.70 1st gear

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
on a 727 . like on the 904 ? Would It help my 60 ft times

those gear sets are around. a customer brought me some years ago to put in his drag only hemi cuda. he didnt like them and ended up taking them out. they might work for your appliction with the gear vender setup. but i dont know where they went or where he got them.

Just about to say someting along those lines myself.

Just read thru the last line of your signature Jerry. That's what you need to do to improve your 60 ft times.

no 727 came from the factory with the 2.74 1st gear....they are all aftermarket gear set.....so get your visa out...

the low gear helps a heavy car with a low torque engine.....

at 105 mph...you should be running near 12.50s.....spend the money on a good converter...

Thanks , looks like I'll have to buy another car to run at the track , not going to cut up the body to fit bigger tires . Looks like nothing but bigger tires will help , that or a converter , but 100 highway miles a day with 3500 stall converter and $7.00 a gallon gas is a no go .

no 727 came from the factory with the 2.74 1st gear....they are all aftermarket gear set.....so get your visa out...

the low gear helps a heavy car with a low torque engine.....

at 105 mph...you should be running near 12.50s.....spend the money on a good converter...
Visa is in hiding , not sure I want to find it .

you should be able to get 9 x 28 slicks on a Dart with minimal trimming....

New converters aren't like the old ones. There are plenty of cases where people put a GOOD higher stall converter in and engine RPM at highway and driving speeds were reduced.

I believe DJV and Abodyjoe had that exact situation occur

New converters aren't like the old ones. There are plenty of cases where people put a GOOD higher stall converter in and engine RPM at highway and driving speeds were reduced.

I believe DJV and Abodyjoe had that exact situation occur
I'm looking into it , will see what a few builders have to sat , re gas mileage

It probably wouldn't cost much more to swap in a low gear 904 than to buy a low gear set for the 727 and I believe the 727 low gear sets are straight cut so their noisy/drag race items. Yet even then you'd have the traction problem. You need to get with a guy that's good with suspension to get that thing hooking. Lots of us have no problems running low to mid 12's with nothing more than you got. I have a 408 in mine with nothing more than a cheap set of Nitto drag radials and it hooks pretty decent. Enough to run 12.20's

-
Back