Is there an inexpensive way to get large bolt pattern

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
and keep the kelsey hayes 4 piston calipers ? I would like to change over to 15" wheels but want to keep the brakes I have , had a Dart with single piston calipers and I prefer the KH brakes . I also have 4 spare calipers and disks , so don't want to change brakes .

Only thing I can think of is a set of the wheel adapters. Many use them, many hate them.

Grant

There's a thread on here about using the rotors off of a 66 mustang after you have a little bit of machine work done. Did it myself and I am happy as a clam. Then bought some axles from Dr Diff in the 5x4.5 pattern and it was done. Very easy, the axles cost me $285 and the rotors and machine work cost about $220.

and keep the kelsey hayes 4 piston calipers ? I would like to change over to 15" wheels but want to keep the brakes I have , had a Dart with single piston calipers and I prefer the KH brakes . I also have 4 spare calipers and disks , so don't want to change brakes .
you can always have the studs removed weld all the holes and redrill for big bolt

I am not certain the center hole on the large bolt pattern wheels is the same as the small bolt. That could be problematic. Also, no need to weld up the old holes if it'll work. Plenty of meat in between but is there enough meat on the outside diameter?

outside diam looks a bit on the thion side if you drill 41/2" holes

There's a thread on here about using the rotors off of a 66 mustang after you have a little bit of machine work done. Did it myself and I am happy as a clam. Then bought some axles from Dr Diff in the 5x4.5 pattern and it was done. Very easy, the axles cost me $285 and the rotors and machine work cost about $220.

Was gonna mention that thread! Apparently it doesnt take much modding to the mustwang rotor,simply cutting down the O.D will work. This is the most sensible approach to my thinking. I plan on using my original sbp KH rotors and when thier worn out,I'll upgrade to bbp with the mustwang rotors.

Was gonna mention that thread! Apparently it doesnt take much modding to the mustwang rotor,simply cutting down the O.D will work. This is the most sensible approach to my thinking. I plan on using my original sbp KH rotors and when thier worn out,I'll upgrade to bbp with the mustwang rotors.

Thats not quite all thats required.
I did this conversion on my dart and detailed my experiences in that post.
Outer diameter of the disk needs cut down some, but the other machining to be done is to cut area where the rear bearing race fits, "deeper" into the back of the hub. I cut mine .250", but could have gone slightly deeper, maybe .265. Anyway the point of this is to get the mustang rotor to be centered in the fixed caliper. Without this mod you will never get your caliper on over the mustang rotor.
As for the cost, I think I paid about $130 for the two rotors, and the machine shop charges for the mods was $200. Plus new bearings and seals.

As for the rear axle. I priced sending my axles to Moser to get them redrilled and the old holes welded up. But when you add in the shipping costs of getting your axles to them, and then paying return shipping, and the cost of the machining, it was only about $60 difference between this option and just buying brand new BBP axles from Moser. I went with the new axles. I got the A-body offset axles so I could retain my stock A-body rear drums.
Note: I tried using their new axles with stock type tapered roller bearings (which they said was fine), but I was unable to get the bearing adjuster to take all the slop out of the adjustment. After measuring everthing a dozen times and multiple conversations with the guys at Moser, we decided the easiest way to get the problem fixed was to switch to the Green bearings. Once I got the Green's everthing went together perfectly.

I checked summits rotors and yes they make rotors for Darts but not in a retrofit bbp. They do sell some nice cross drilled/slotted ones..

I called Moser Engineering in Indiana, made an appointment, drove up early in the morning, dropped them off, and they redrilled mine to 4 1/2".

They just cut the old studs off flush, so that held everything in place, then hit it with a grinder to smooth the cut studs out, then drilled and tapped to 4 1/2" bolt pattern.

Installed threaded 3" studs with lock washer behind the head, you'll need the length, $60.00 each and two hours later I was gone. No problems.

I'm sure you can find someone close to you.

Well it's good to hear that redrilling is an option. Several folks here have had it done,but I was warned not to. I imagine that there would be enough material to redrill and hold up to regular street duty or drag racing but not heavy cornering or auto X.

I also feel redrilling them yourself with a jig to ensure proper placement would not be much trouble,only you have to drill the hub and rotor so get a good bit and tap!

I used Wheel Adapters for my rear drums. 7 yrs & no problems, plus they give the rear a nicer, thicker 'axx'. As for using these on the Front, I haven't tried it since I installed the later A,F,M,J disc setup. I don't know if I would want to have wheel adapeters on the front becausethere's just a lot more 'action' happening up fornt than in the back.
FWIW, my suggestion would be to swap out the K-H for the Later model disc setup - It stops like a ****, is simpler, gets the car to a higher level of suspension 'beef' & real cheap to install. Not to mention, a whole lot easier to find parts for this setup than the K-h'S. hECK, for the price of that Mustang rotor deal, you could have All-Mopar brakes PLUS upgraded front end.
But, I understand that there is that 'originality/rarity mystique' associated w/ the K-H setup. Somr guys like to go all-original. I dig it, but I'd rather drive it. Again, that's a FWIW, or a IMHO.

Trouble is I have 3 complete sets of K H brakes , so don't want to change . Besides the K H brakes are better than the 73 single piston caliper setup , at least that's what I think , have had both . My 1970 and 72 had better brakes than my 74 and 75 , at least that was my experience .

The KH stuff is crap compared to the single pistons.

-
Back