Is there hope for these handles?

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm doing an at home shade tree restore '74 Duster project.

I searched threads but didn't find the answers I'm looking for so here goes.

Is there hope for these door handles to be at least good driver quality as far as the finish goes?

Any tips on cleaning and polishing that has worked well for you?

Also, I have never removed the handles or locks. How dificult is it and what is the procedure?

Thanks

Attachments

• jsth.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 292
Your best and cheapest bet it to simply replace the handles. You'll have to take the door panel off to get to the nuts holding the handle on. It's a little tricky but once you do it you'll become an expert. The hardest part is getting the door panel off without breaking it. Buy a forked panel puller for the job instead of using a screwdriver. It's probably best the first time to have someone there to show you how it's done otherwise it can be kind of frustrating.

Your best and cheapest bet it to simply replace the handles. You'll have to take the door panel off to get to the nuts holding the handle on. It's a little tricky but once you do it you'll become an expert. The hardest part is getting the door panel off without breaking it. Buy a forked panel puller for the job instead of using a screwdriver. It's probably best the first time to have someone there to show you how it's done otherwise it can be kind of frustrating.

Thanks, these doors have not seen inside panels in years...

Whats a good source for the replacements?

Replacements are available from a few places. I think Dale's Cuda Shop has them. I know BE&A has them. I've gotten better prices from Dave at Roseville then going direct from BE&A.

If you have a good wrecking yard check out any 70's and 80's vans and trucks for a decent pair. They are the same handle but you will have to use linkage parts from the inside of your existing ones to make them work.

You can buy new ones for $70/pair. I recommend you use the inside brackets from Dynamic Restorations to stiffen the door panels for the new handles. Dan

Those are beyond polishing, the chrome is gone. They come off pretty easy just two nuts and one clip on the linkage.

If you aren't worried about show quality these are pretty good, that's what is on my car [ame]http://m.ebay.com/itm/231248690138?nav=SEARCH[/ame]

-
Back