Is this '71 Dodge Demon for real???

-
I think this dude has his head on backwards. Sounds to me like he is saying the lack of evidence doesn't disprove it.

Well, lack of evidence pretty much gives me an idea what this car is.

If you don't want to mislead, or misrepresent this car simply say "This sure looks like a factory job to me, but keep in mind no '71 Demon had this treatment that is documented. It may have been an add-on. It very well may be the rarest '71 Demon known. I don't have proof either way. Bid accordingly"

There, that was easy.

Although, I think you and all of us know what it is.

Edit: Oh, and leave out the RARE factory sunroof in the description.

pfiefer - If you know of any mopar guys in raymore if you wouldn't mind asking about the numbers engine and trans for my car? It would be a 1970 340 and 4 spd. The engine and trans were removed from the car somewhere around 1982? and installed in a candy apple red road runner (unsure of year - but for the trans to fit it would have likely been a volare road runner but I was only told it was a road runner). I bought the car in 1984 from a body shop out in the coutry near a hall called grain grower's hall. This was located about 20 miles south and west of Raymore. The guy who owned the road runner was from Raymore. The guy would have to be 50 or so years old.

My ad does state i have no build sheet or fender tag ans states it would be very hard to prove its a factory sunroof AND STATES KEEP THIS IN MIND.I since pulled 1 seat out and only found a black tag with some codes, so if anyone can help on the codes? 3520428-k
61052 1820
301-000-1aa

i also was only asking the board members, what if not the ad.If you guys say it came with no roof then it came wiith no roof, but to say 71 dodges did not come with this style roof is wrong, again the ad has a 71 challenger with this roof from the factory and a fender tag with the code?

You must be slow at typing. No big deal. I didn't proof read what I posted until after I posted it. I quickly edited it to say "Demon". I never meant to say "car".

Sometimes the brain and fingers don't agree.

Why don't you pull the headliner down to see what kind of work was done? I mean that would be a small thing to do if this car is a 1 of 1.

You want my honest opinion? I didn't think so, but I'll say it anyway.

I bet this could have been a light rollover car that was repaired with a Dart roof. That is just my opinion though.

I had a buddy that had a 340 Demon back in the late 80's early 90's that was going through a divorce. She took that car and couldn't handle it. She rolled it. He got the car back and put a new roof on it. Even repainted the car a different color.

I mean, since we are throwing out "what if's" and all....

All 1973-1976 sunroof cars could have either a steel roof or vinyl roof. I know of a few coded for steel roofs like mine. On the fender tag on my Duster it says TB3 for upper body color not the vinyl roof code which is VI* (asterik being a certain letter for color choice) The code for all 1973-1976 manual crank sunroof cars is M52.

I believe the early and very rare 1969-1971 B & E body power sunroof cars all came with vinyl roofs but I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure. The code books state M51 power sunroof/with vinyl top for the 69-71 cars. 71-72 A-body canvas sunroof cars were M52 I believe but of course it was phased out for the manual crank style in 1973.

The Demon in question has had the sunroof added for sure and the car should have a complete personal inspection before anyone buys it or some guarantees that's for sure.

Well i have a guy from Flordia that has a very large collection of mopars who is looking at this car.The nice thing is he emailed me and everyone can read it, he has 2 all original demon's with the same style sunroofs and has the build sheets and fender tags for both of these demons? O ne of the cars is a mr norm demon gss car and the code is m52 for both of the cars on his fender tags.So i guess even though some of the people kind of bashed me on this car, this should prove that 71 dodge demons had a option for the sunroofs as this man has 2 will all the paper work to prove it.

It will be nice to see the proof so both sides can quit bickering like little girls.
Besides I love seeing people get proven wrong when they think they know everything. Maybe because that is usaually me... :read2:
Either way it'll be nice to see this get resolved.

Post the pics of the cars with pics of the build sheets / fender tags.

Hauk67,
You didn't say what year those two Demons are that the collector has in FL. Like I stated in my Moparts post I've seen pics of several A-body 1972 cars with crank sunroofs but I can't say whether they were original or not.

It wouldn't surprise me if the sunroof in those cars was installed by the ASC especially if they were late year builds. Or the dealer had it done for a show room car since the 1973 cars were getting them. I've never seen any original 1971 A-bodies with manual crank sunroofs and yours doesn't even have the sunvisors in it. Too much doubt and mystery to call it anymore than an add on feature sometime in the car's life.

P.S. I had a 1976 Volare Roadrunner with T-Tops even though the option didn't start till 1977. How you ask? The dealer had them installed and used it as his show room car so people could see what they would look like. I purchased the car right off the show room floor in late fall of 1976.

The cars the collector has are both 71 demons with build sheets and fender tags with a m52 code for sunroofs.If anyone wanted to read this they can go look on my ad its posted.I never wanted to bicker over my car, i was just trying to find answers.I updated my ad again tonight as i had the high bidder come over to look at the car, he has been a mechanic for 23+ years for chrysler.We put the car on a lift at my buddys house and louis took out all the seats and carpets and found nothing.He also loked in alot of spots and again found nothing.He did notice the roof had been added on early on in its life, its a factory roof that was added on ?He wanted to buy the car tonight for 10,500 and i told him no due to 2 other guys coming from far away on sunday.I also called both of them and explained to them what louis found with the roof and they are still coming sunday.I plan on letteing the ad go as i updated it with all the info, and dont know much i could say.Again, i am new to the board and have learned alot in the past week and sorry if i pissed anyone off...Never intended to

Hey, no problem! I checked out your car and it is awesome! I wish I could find one in Minnesota in that condition. So what if it isn't real! If you wanted to add a sunroof like that you would still have to find a decent one, (almost impossible to find in any condition) then install it. You are talking a lot of extra money! Your car already has it installed so that may make it more desireable to someone than if it was a Demon with a plain roof! Don't worry about the remarks made by others, your car is going to sell and you have been honest with the other buyers. Good luck! Keith.

Thanks for the good words.I think it's a great buy for someone, and i agree unless your looking to restore the car to a 100 point show car then is not the one for you.I think it's a awesome car due to the roof, and being a real 340 car h code.Thanks again

Thanks for the good words.I think it's a great buy for someone, and i agree unless your looking to restore the car to a 100 point show car then is not the one for you.I think it's a awesome car due to the roof, and being a real 340 car h code.Thanks again

Sure, it's an awesome car. But be honest, you are changing the ad as you go. It started out as an ultra rare never built car in the beginning.

pfiefer - If you know of any mopar guys in raymore if you wouldn't mind asking about the numbers engine and trans for my car? It would be a 1970 340 and 4 spd. The engine and trans were removed from the car somewhere around 1982? and installed in a candy apple red road runner (unsure of year - but for the trans to fit it would have likely been a volare road runner but I was only told it was a road runner). I bought the car in 1984 from a body shop out in the coutry near a hall called grain grower's hall. This was located about 20 miles south and west of Raymore. The guy who owned the road runner was from Raymore. The guy would have to be 50 or so years old.

No problem, a guy in Southey (which is not far from Raymore) pretty much knows of every muscle car that has been in the area. I will check with him and let you know what I can find out.

The other clue that it is a fake is every steel sunroof car I have decoded (I have done 4) and all the others I have looked at have a vinyl roof. Now I guess that could could have been removed but unlikely.

I do have a complete roof assembly with an original steel sunroof from a 74 duster if anyone is interested.

pfiefer - I did see one canvas roof demon (can't remember if it was a 71 or 72) (non-340 car) in Raymore SK about ten years ago. I would imagine it is still sitting in the same yard. The sad thing is all the canvas and hardware were removed and he was planning on welding in a flat roof panel. He was unaware that it was a special roof and thought someone had installed it. I informed him that it was something special and he should not hack it up...hopefully he listened. At the time I was searching for the original numbers engine and trans (340 4spd) for my 70 duster as it was rumored to have been sold to a person in raymore years ago.

I have a 73 Dart Sport 340 with the sunroof. How much do you want for the assembly that you have?

All 1973-1976 sunroof cars could have either a steel roof or vinyl roof. I know of a few coded for steel roofs like mine. On the fender tag on my Duster it says TB3 for upper body color not the vinyl roof code which is VI* (asterik being a certain letter for color choice) The code for all 1973-1976 manual crank sunroof cars is M52.

I believe the early and very rare 1969-1971 B & E body power sunroof cars all came with vinyl roofs but I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure. The code books state M51 power sunroof/with vinyl top for the 69-71 cars. 71-72 A-body canvas sunroof cars were M52 I believe but of course it was phased out for the manual crank style in 1973.

The Demon in question has had the sunroof added for sure and the car should have a complete personal inspection before anyone buys it or some guarantees that's for sure.

I looked in my GG book to doublecheck the sunroof codes and here's what it says. Sorry I was going from memory on my previous post.

V3* for 1971-72 foldback sunroof (*) for different colors
M52 for 1973-1976 manual crank sunroof

So far no one even the guy in FL with 2 Demons (71 & 72) he says have factory M52 sunroofs have proved their manual crank sunroofs were a factory option. I truly believe any 71-72 car that has one had it added after the car was purchased.

nuff said on this subject :violent1:

-
Back