is this a fair deal

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know for a 1970 A-833 transmission with the shifter for 750.00cnd I never had a 4 speed before but I have a car that was an original 4 speed car and thinking of putting it back that way someday. He says it is in good shape is this a fair deal ?

thanks .

If it's a 4-speed and NOT a 4-speed o/d.
If it has the shifter, mechanism, and the linkage and it's bolt in and go condition - yes, it's a Fair Deal- IMO not a home run.
because please keep in mind the other $750 werth the parts you have to buy !?

A guy messaged me that I had messaged about buying an A-833 and a Hurst bench shifter. He said he has a trans for $400. and the shifter for $200. I think. Is this a good deal? I need to ask him if he knows if the trans is ready to use. It is the pre-'66 one, with the different drive shaft attachment. I forget what that is called.

By the way, is the 4-speed shifter that was used in the bucket seat '65's the same as the one used on the '64's? I know the bench seat one is curvy, but what does the '65 4-speed shifter look like? Thanks.

Never mind the question about the '65 4-speed shifter. I found a pic of one. Was there more than one style of 4-speed shifter used in '65?

A guy messaged me that I had messaged about buying an A-833 and a Hurst bench shifter. He said he has a trans for $400. and the shifter for $200. I think. Is this a good deal? I need to ask him if he knows if the trans is ready to use. It is the pre-'66 one, with the different drive shaft attachment. I forget what that is called.

That would be the one with the 64/65 833 with the ball and trunnion flange which took the driveshaft with the ball and trunnion (naturally)

Never mind the question about the '65 4-speed shifter. I found a pic of one. Was there more than one style of 4-speed shifter used in '65?

One style shifter whether for bench or buckets

So the 4-speed shifter for the buckets set-up is tall enough to clear the bench? Huh. Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

Thanks 4spd, I'll look for the '66 and later version. Was there a year to look for that was the lightest version than the others? Did any of them have aluminum cases?

There are 3 ratios for Abodies that I have seen,all in cast iron boxes.These are
3.09-1.92-1.39-1.00, Dragracer first, came in early A's
2.66-1.92-1.40-1.00, the most common
2.47-1.77-1.34-1.00 , close ratio T/A, fairly rare

There is one other ratio,and it comes in all aluminum.
3.09-1.67-1.00-.71/.73,o/d super-wide splits
You can also find these gears in a Chevy cast iron case, with a Chevy inputshaft

All the cast iron ratio gears can be installed in the aluminum box. But the o/d gears will not fit in the cast iron Mopar boxes without modification.The o/d box has it's own bell housing. There are work-arounds for this.
Passon Performance has stand-alone aluminum main boxes, plus whatever else you might need. I bought one of his boxes and an aluminum side cover, plus a really nice set of 3.09/direct 4th gears; the price was good, and the whole pkg is still going, 10 years later.

Last edited:
... All the cast iron ratio gears can be installed in the aluminum box. But the o/d gears will not fit in the cast iron boxes without modification...

The O/D gears will fit in the early, 3.09 first gear, cast iron main housings without modifications. Maybe all the early main housings as I doubt they would have made two different castings.

No problem, there was a member up here that had ball and trunnion 4spd and it was difficult to find pieces.
Im not sure with your other questions, I'll cconcede to more knowledgeable than me.
Thanks 4spd, I'll look for the '66 and later version. Was there a year to look for that was the lightest version than the others? Did any of them have aluminum cases?

There are 3 ratios for Abodies that I have seen,all in cast iron boxes.These are
3.09-1.92-1.39-1.00, Dragracer first, came in early A's
2.66-1.92-1.40-1.00, the most common
2.47-1.77-1.34-1.00 , close ratio T/A, fairly rare

There is one other ratio,and it comes in all aluminum.
3.09-1.67-1.00-.71/.73,o/d super-wide splits

All the cast iron ratio gears can be installed in the aluminum box. But the o/d gears will not fit in the cast iron boxes without modification.The o/d box has it's own bell housing. There are work arounds for this.
Passon Performance has stand-alone aluminum main boxes, plus whatever else you might need. I bought one of his boxes and an aluminum side cover, plus a really nice set of 3.09/direct 4th gears; the price was good, and the whole pkg is still going, 10 years later.

The non OD 3.09 first gear box also came in /6's

This is an original 64-655 a body hurst shifter handle & ball. They were the same for bench or bucket seats.

20160611_140609.jpg

The O/D gears will fit in the early, 3.09 first gear, cast iron main housings without modifications. Maybe all the early main housings as I doubt they would have made two different castings.
Well they wouldn't fit in any of the 4 cast iron boxes, I tried.
Oops, I think I read that wrong.My cast iron boxes are 1969 and newer.So perhaps there are two cast iron boxes. Maybe Chevy used the early boxes to stuff the o/d gears into for their pick-ups

Last edited:
chevy's case has a gm mounting front and rear tall mount , just had a guy looking for parts on his chevy one . funny there the od gears , his 350 hasn't broken anything in it . but it was wore out . i read here were 360/340 's kill them . just like all brands its the driver had wins or loses it .

jimjimjimmy , there was a set up with the driveline also for sale on this form , just a few days ago . might still be had . driveline was converted from a flange bolting pin/ball coupler to a inline spline slider that bolted to the flange at the rear of the trans , it was a 64-65 type . not sure about linkage . and there are three different outputs styles , one flange , and well two different slip yokes , 904 size and 727 size yokes .

Well they wouldn't fit in any of the 4 cast iron boxes, I tried.
Oops, I think I read that wrong.My cast iron boxes are 1969 and newer.So perhaps there are two cast iron boxes. Maybe Chevy used the early boxes to stuff the o/d gears into for their pick-ups

I put the O/D stuff in my 64 housing to get it to mate up to the 64 bell housing. Found out by accident, not knowing. I have others confirm what you said about later main housings, maybe they beefed the main housings as much as possible?

-
Back