Is this a good buy?

-

swingerboy

Reaction score
Hey guys

So this lady called me saying she has a Valiant for sale. 1964 4 door with a loud engine knock (I told her its probably a thrown rod) anyways, she is asking $1000 for it but will sell it for $500 to me (I helped her alot and gave her tips to sell the car). Anyways, does this look like a $500 car? If i rebuild the engine, where can I get a nice kit and also would i need to machine it? If all fails, can I part it out and get my money back?

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/hassibi1/00x0x_j43fKPzHiMp_600x450_zpsffc091ba.jpg

Is that rust across the trunk lid? Based off the one picture I doubt you would make any money on it parting it out.

Attachments

• 00x0x_j43fKPzHiMp_600x450_zpsffc091ba.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 231
Its woth it to drive it . TO part it no i would say no only buy it if you want to drive it .

Yeah the only thing is that the engine is most probably bad and yes that is rust... IDK what to do haha. I mean $500 is nothing for a car. She said its rusty but had tons of work done with receipts and such. Im gonna look at it friday. The interior is a little beat up to i would guess. we can only hope

If the engine knocks, the rod is not "thrown". If it runs and the rest is a lot more solid than the trunk lid, it's probably worth 500-750.

Yeah the only thing is that the engine is most probably bad and yes that is rust... IDK what to do haha. I mean $500 is nothing for a car. She said its rusty but had tons of work done with receipts and such. Im gonna look at it friday. The interior is a little beat up to i would guess. we can only hope

Bad motor and rust isn't a good combination. If you wanted to fix it as a daily driver until it dies then it might be worth owning.

Work done with receipts to prove it is totally worthless on a rust bucket.

By the way if i choose to rebuilt the slant 6 I found a kit for $300 and will I need to machine the engine? I am a newbie :)

I think you should pass this car. Buy some books and educate yourself before you buy anything.

By the way if i choose to rebuilt the slant 6 I found a kit for $300 and will I need to machine the engine? I am a newbie :)

The kit is just a drop in the bucket of the total cost and if you do it right the cost will exceed the value of the car. You would be further ahead if you could find a good used engine.

I think you should pass this car. Buy some books and educate yourself before you buy anything.

Xs2.

-
Back