Is this bad?(440 six pack)

-

database13

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1971 Dodge Challenger completely stripped and ready for a restore. The engine (440) and the transmission had both been pulled. The guy who I bought it from told me that he took apart the engine and said the previous owner had completely rebuilt the engine and had never started it.

So yesterday I pulled the distributor and looked down the opening. That was when I found this big whole on the timing chain side of the engine block. The whole is extremely rough and has dimensions of about 3.5'' in length and about 1'' in width. The whole cant be seen from the outside due to the timing chain cover.

I have no idea what this is or if it is normal. Maybe it is a rough casting or maybe the timing chain broke and put a whole in the block?

It does not make any sense to me why someone would completely rebuild an engine that is not usable, so now I am here left scratching my head.

Can anyone help me out?

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

Ok, MY thoughts on it. He told you he "took the engine apart". He apparently put it back together. If he HAD taken it apart, THAT would have been impossible to miss. So to MY way thinking in my crazy little mixed-up head, he either A) lied about taken it apart, or B) knew about that and intentionally concealed the fact. Either way, it was dishonest on his part, and I wouldn't care at that point whether the engine can actually run in condition. He was dishonest in the deal, which would be rectified by his either A) refunding a portion of the price equal to the cost of a new block or B) receiving a little "redneck justice" just for being dishonest.

nope thats a nice big busted hole. call the dude up and tell him what you found and ask what he intends to do to rectify the issue. "As Is" only goes so far. where I live if they didn't tell you about such an issue they have to fix the problem.

The engine is junk. If it was the matching # engine you just took a big hit, if not...

1. Ask for a refund of part of the purchase price.
2. Small claims court.

So here is a picture that found on the internet. You can see the same whole except its cleaned up. I also contacted the seller and he took pictures of two different Mopar engines he owns and they both looked like mine. He said that most poeple just clean it up with a grinder. Apparently it supposed to help with oil distribution.
426440CGI.jpg

So here is a picture that found on the internet. You can see the same whole except its cleaned up. I also contacted the seller and he took pictures of two different Mopar engines he owns and they both looked like mine. He said that most poeple just clean it up with a grinder. Apparently it supposed to help with oil distribution.

Yup, that's what it is for. The factory never really cleaned those holes up, so it's looks like a damaged block, but it's not.

I have seen that whole in every BB and I was very concerned when I saw my first but it is a factory opening aparently for oiling the chain or something.

I have seen that whole in every BB and I was very concerned when I saw my first but it is a factory opening aparently for oiling the chain or something.
Admittedly, I am not a big block guy. After reading this, I will now consider myself slightly more educated, and retract what I sd above.

.....but dont mean anything bad by it. Yep, Vic and i have seen the same thing in engines and like you, wondered what in the hell is that....Looks like someone let a grenade go off in her didn't it. Just one of those areas that would have cost Ma Mopar more if they jacked with it. You're O.K.
Small Block

-
Back