Is This Electric Choke Plate Open "Enough"?

-

doc540

Reaction score
Been this way for a while.

Coil spring may be getting a little old and weak (who isn't? :eek: ).

When the engine is up to full operating temp, is this position ok for street cruising?

lancer choke1.jpg

lancer choke1.jpg

Last edited:
Meh, probably not hurting a thing. Splittin hairs, but you can adjust it all the way open.

If it has a choke stove on the other side, loosen the three screws retaining it and turn it until the plate is all the way open. If not, bend the linkage rod until it is all the way open.

If it has a choke stove on the other side, loosen the three screws retaining it and turn it until the plate is all the way open. If not, bend the linkage rod until it is all the way open.

I better get a local mechanic friend to help since I'm confused now.

I adjusted the choke stove to barely open the choke plate with the engine cold.

When it's hot, moving the choke stove in either direction makes no adjustment to the plate.

Right now, I have it about 1.5 marks counterclockwise past center.

But thanks

Then I would leave it alone. Adjusting it will only prove your pickiness. It will change absolutely nothing regarding how it runs.

I can't believe this is even a real question? Do you plan on gaining 50 hp with it wide open? Heck just rip it off. Problem solved.

Don't rip it off. Just leave it alone. The tiny bit it will take to open it a bit further will make no difference to how it runs when warm. It sounds like you have it adjusted the way you want when it is cold. So I assume the cold start is OK. Leave it alone!

Thanks for most of your replies.

Out of curiosity I've run this by several local shops owned certified mechanics.

It's about even among those who say when adjusted properly and warm the choke plate should be fully open.

The others say partially open like in the picture will make absolutely no difference in performance or fuel consumption.

I replaced to choke stove pot, readjusted it cold, and will leave it as is.

Seems to be running just fine.

-
Back