Is this normal ? Sound from clutch pedal

-
Sorry. To clear it up. .055” gap, 1” free, .250” TO bearing clearance. In order to drive it without the levers absolutely cramming the clutch pedal I had to run 2.5” of freeplay. Sorry. That much free play is obnoxious to drive but that’s what I had to run to diagnose this. Somethings broken or bad wrong inside the PP. I’m pulling it out and sending it to Ram. Very frustrating.

I have a lot going on Racing right now. It’s waiting for a rainy day to pull this clutch and throw it in the lake.

I cooked my previous throw-out bearing in a few thousand miles. It started making noise while I was over 300 miles from home.

I run a Mcleod Street Twin, so the release arms are not supposed to move with RPM like a centrifugal clutch does. I assumed that as the clutch broke in, it needed a bit more free play as the parts seated in.

I just replaced the throw-out bearing, increased the free play (to the point of a mild gear clash in 2nd and then backed it off slightly just enough to avoid that) and now am wondering if my pressure plate changes the lever arms as engine speed increases.

Those videos are very telling. I have a scatter shield and can't see the throw-out bearing with the engine running. I may drill a hole so I can see if I have the same thing going on. Interesting indeed.

Shims.JPG

I’m curious to send it to RAM and see what they find. Everybody telling me more freeplay etc. I found that you need around 3” of freeplay in order for it not to hit the fork and bearing. But you have to start it in gear. What a stupid deal this became. I have all correct parts etc... finally the video tells what’s going on. The damn fingers move back almost an inch. More like about .900”. What a pain in the ***. I’ll have to cut the exhaust/ TTI down pipes. The exhaust shop didn’t have V band clamps. So besides just pulling the trans and all that, I get to do exhaust splicing as well. Again, more reason to shove it in the corner and forget about it.

I just sent one of those Ram clutches back. They are cheap scrap in my opinion. We installed one in a Demon for someone. everything in the car was new. And this was not my first rodeo. Same noises. Two weeks later the pressure plate came apart at 6500 . gulling the bearing retainer, bending the fork and the bell bracket.

I would never buy another Ram set up unless you are a putter and a granny shifter. Just the feel in the peddle was like nothing I ever experienced.

We also blamed it on the guys peddle assembly and he was to return to replace it when we did the dash replacement. We were wrong. This was not the only one I have heard of as being bad .

-
Back