Is this where we should be shopping?

-

2shelbys

Reaction score
Hmmmm.....In light of the direction things are headed maybe this is where we should be shopping for vehicles:

Armor

I saw a tank last week, but it was only Rosie O'Donnell#-o

http://www.ordmusfound.org/

I live near Aberdeen Proving Ground, just off 95 near the $5 toll in Md. Great day trip to see all the tanks and heavy armour. Free, Grounds are open for a self tour, you can feel and touch but no climbing on equipment. Alot of really unique pieces of machinery.

Thanks for sharing

GregH

http://www.ordmusfound.org/

I live near Aberdeen Proving Ground, just off 95 near the $5 toll in Md. Great day trip to see all the tanks and heavy armour. Free, Grounds are open for a self tour, you can feel and touch but no climbing on equipment. Alot of really unique pieces of machinery.

Thanks for sharing

GregH
My dad starting taking me up there to the museum when I was little and I worked at APG during the 80s. They have an amazing collection but back in the 90s some nitwit decided to trade their King Tiger (one of only a handful still in existance) to Fort Knox for a Soviet T-72. We had 4 T-72s at our shop back in the 80s. You can find them laying around in the tall grass. Morons. They also sent their Tiger 1 to Germany for restoration back in the 90s and the last time I was there is still was not back. There is still lots of interesting stuff there but their two best tanks are gone. If you are into guns they have more than just about anyone else. To their credit, the Patton Armor museum at Fort Knox has completely restored the King Tiger which had some of it's side armore removed in the 50s for display purposes. It has been repainted in it's original colors from when it was in service in SS PzAbt 501 with Kampfgruppe Peiper during the Ardennes offensive.

That is cool stuff, 2. I worked with a guy who worked at APG while in the Army in the late '50s. They were testing bullets to use in the future M16. Howie said that he could not understand how a .22 cal bullet could be lethal enough for military use; that is until someone explained to him the tumbling properties of the long projectile.

There used to be an armor museum on the north fork of Long Island in Mattituck. They had a Pzkw IV there and a huge amount of other stuff, including every type of small arm and uniform. They had to move to southern Virginia due to the need for more space and to avoid high overhead on LI. They had a line on a Tiger I from Russia when I was last there almost 20 years ago.

They found a Sherman E8 dozer tank that was once used at a state mental hospital to pull coal cars along a railroad track. The state was done using it in the early 1960s and simply buried it on site in the sand. The museum had heard rumors of it and did a lot of research to locate, purchase, and dig it up.

That is cool stuff, 2. I worked with a guy who worked at APG while in the Army in the late '50s. They were testing bullets to use in the future M16. Howie said that he could not understand how a .22 cal bullet could be lethal enough for military use; that is until someone explained to him the tumbling properties of the long projectile.

There used to be an armor museum on the north fork of Long Island in Mattituck. They had a Pzkw IV there and a huge amount of other stuff, including every type of small arm and uniform. They had to move to southern Virginia due to the need for more space and to avoid high overhead on LI. They had a line on a Tiger I from Russia when I was last there almost 20 years ago.

They found a Sherman E8 dozer tank that was once used at a state mental hospital to pull coal cars along a railroad track. The state was done using it in the early 1960s and simply buried it on site in the sand. The museum had heard rumors of it and did a lot of research to locate, purchase, and dig it up.
I saw a show on the History channel where someone pulled a Panther out of a river in Poland. The cold water preserved it pretty well.

-
Back