Isky 264 Mega in a 400

-

Charlie_es_cool

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Anyone here ever run an Isky 264 in a 383 or a 400? I have one I’m planning to use on my 400 build. I’m shooting for 9.5:1 compression on this engine, I’ll use a 727 with the factory 10.75” converter, and the car will have 3.21 gears out back. I’m pretty confident this cam will fit my combo, but I wanted to hear how this cam worked for someone that has run it before.

I have run one in a 400 Pontiac, similar comp ratio. Runs very well. The tight LSA that Isky uses is good.

I have run one in a 400 Pontiac, similar comp ratio. Runs very well. The tight LSA that Isky uses is good.
Awesome! The LSA was one of the major factors in choosing it. I rarely see people using short, narrow LSA cams and I wanted to give it a shot.

Would you happen to remember how was the idle quality on that Pontiac 400? And at what RPM did the cam come alive?

Hi everyone.

Anyone here ever run an Isky 264 in a 383 or a 400? I have one I’m planning to use on my 400 build. I’m shooting for 9.5:1 compression on this engine, I’ll use a 727 with the factory 10.75” converter, and the car will have 3.21 gears out back. I’m pretty confident this cam will fit my combo, but I wanted to hear how this cam worked for someone that has run it before.
It should make your tires go up in smoke pretty easy. Is it a 108 lsa ?

Quite good idle quality. Not dead smooth, but not rough either. Used with a TQ carb.

Idle quality would be what I call "noticeable".

It should make your tires go up in smoke pretty easy. Is it a 108 lsa ?

Yep, it's a 108 lsa cam.

Quite good idle quality. Not dead smooth, but not rough either. Used with a TQ carb.

Idle quality would be what I call "noticeable".

Awesome! I don't want a rowdy idle with crappy vacuum on this engine. I still had some doubts about idle quality since I wasn't able to find a video on youtube of that cam idling. Everyone seems to go for the 270 Mega or bigger, and by that point idle quality is starting to lean to the rougher side.

I have never run one, but the specs look great for what you say you want with the 9.5 to 1.

Only caveat would be that with iron heads you may have to pay strict attention to your timing curve running average pump gas

I have never run one, but the specs look great for what you say you want with the 9.5 to 1.

Only caveat would be that with iron heads you may have to pay strict attention to your timing curve running average pump gas

Yes. I can get 93 octane on any gas station where I live. I'll have to be careful with the timing curve, but I think it's doable. I just wish all these old iron heads had a quench pad like the small block chebys, i'd push the compression up a hair.

Yes. I can get 93 octane on any gas station where I live. I'll have to be careful with the timing curve, but I think it's doable. I just wish all these old iron heads had a quench pad like the small block chebys, i'd push the compression up a hair.
You could retard it a couple of degrees from the recommended intake centerline. To close the intake a little later.

-
Back