It could have been worse...

-

timnascar

Reaction score
This past weekend was our annual Spring Break Trip to Myrtle Beach to attend the 23rd "Run to the Sun" Show. Wow...over 2700 cars showed up. It was an awesome weekend. The weather was fantastic and the cars were hot, hot, hot....uh, not to mention so were a few other things...

The trip didn't start off the way we hoped. About 45 miles out while passing a Semi, there was a blast that sounded like a double-barrel 12 gauge going off. Steering was ok, brakes were ok, no smoke pouring out the back...WTF! But as I started to slow and the revs went down there was a terrible vibration...
We pulled over and the smell of hot antifreeze and steam coming from under the hood wasn't a good sign.
The pictures tell the story. I guess it could have been a lot worse. We could have been 100 or more miles out. Or we could have suffered more damage. We had a buddy come fetch us with a roll-back. Took the car home and threw everything into our daily driver and headed to the beach.

So, now I'm deciding whether to just have the rad fixed and find a new fan or just switch to a high-performance radiator with electric fans. I'm leaning towards the latter as I'm also planning on adding A/C and maybe even changing the pulleys' up front to brighten the engine up a bit.

I've heard horror stories before, but I've never seen a stock fan do this before...

Check your fans periodically. I'll be doing that more often.

Attachments

• IMG_20110320_143923 (Medium).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20110320_143936 (Medium).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20110320_143947 (Medium).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 208
That hurts just looking at it! I replaced mine with a viscous fan package from Mancini racing. It looks like this....

Attachments

• fan.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 112
-
Back