It drives like hell

-

Joatha

Reaction score
I FINALLY got the rear brakes taken care of on my 69 Barracuda. The rear brakes were pretty much toast. The wheel cylinders were completely rusted up and had junk all in them, half the springs and hardware were broken, parts of the brake shoes were held together with bailing wire, and the lines were rusted to the wheel cylinders. The shoes were shot and the drums were thin as can be.

So, I replaced all the lines from the rear junction block (especially after the nuts snapped off the lines at the wheel cylinders). I replaced the wheel cylinders. I replace the hardware/springs. I replaced the shoes. I managed to track down new drums (well...sort of). I had to put it all together sans manual - using my 68 Cuda as a model (its slightly different). Finally, I spent a ton of time tonight bleeding the brakes. Basically, it was a major pain in the rear.

Well, it's all done and I take the car out for the first spin tonight (I couldn't drive it before now). It is running like crap. One cylinder was missing and I think I have a broken pushrod - but haven't checked yet. Now, tonight a second cylinder started missing as well. But, it moves under its own power. Front end starts shaking wildly as I back it up the first time. It was fine in forward gears. So, I get out and check the front wheels (which I hadn't done anything to so far). Sure enough, the driver's side hub is loose and I am able to move it with the wheels on the ground (yikes!!). I jack it up, pop the grease cap and find that the retaining bolt is about a turn or so from the correct tightness. Of course, I checked the other side and it was probably a half turn loose. I drive it again and its better, but now there is a nice pop coming from the front end from time to time (who knows what that is) as I turn. Front brakes pull real bad and I think they need to be rebuilt and bled as well.

So, I think tonight confirmed that I just need to go ahead and get my 68 convertible together (already painted) and put this car in storage until I can completely disassemble it. It's going to need a THOROUGH rebuild.

Blah blah blah. You guys all know the rant. :roll:

At least my 66 Cuda drives like a dream. I put an antenna on the car and the AM radio WORKS! Woo-hoo! I just got the correct valve covers on the engine. Plus, I got the correct transmission kickdown linkage and the bracket for the throttle return spring installed (it had been on a bolt). So, my punch list is down to 3-4 items and that car will be completely DONE!

Ah well.....a few steps forwards, a few steps back. Thanks for letting me rant. Just had to blow off some steam.

-
Back