It lives!!!!

-

Useless

Reaction score
After over a decade of being a staionary object the Valiant lives once again, moved under it's own power today for the first time.

It's been one thing after another since I got the car back in the spring (which I expected), I didn't have any fuel at first thanks to a clogged 30 year old pump and then went for a long while trying to get some spark, replacing the entire ignition system. I finally narrowed it down to the disty and a wonky looking points plate, turns out it wasn't attached at one end, so I ordered a new distributor.

I got my new distributor yesterday and managed to stick it in today, a little gas down the carb, the engine turned over about 3 times and fired up, it ran rough but it ran, for the first time in over a decade.

I went to the parts store and got new plugs since that was the only tune-up item I hadn't replaced (because I didn't have spark getting to the plugs) and now it fires within half a turn and idles smooth, purs like a kitten...a 45 year old, SOHC, solid lifter kitten.
icon_lol.gif

I moved it around the yard a little and took off the hubcaps for that super stock look, they were full of spiderwebs and grasshoppers?! It runs great and moves fine so far, though my brakes are lacking big time , I *might have one working brake that functions when you press the pedal, thank god for the parking brake. So I guess they are next up on the list of things to fix.

I'm so excited it runs though; it's nice to be behind the wheel of a mopar agian.

100_2806.jpg

Congrats.

Does it feel like having your first child?

Allright! I remember the first drive in the waggin,my girl was afraid of the visegrip door release handles.so I took em off,told her if I bail out shed have to go down with the ship LOL.Good job man keep up the good work she'll be sweet in no time.

Congrats.

Does it feel like having your first child?

I wouldn't know, but I have a friend with a unrestord '67 hemi GTX sitting on his carport covered in dust and full of junk and I think if I was told I could buy it for $100 I wouldn't be any happier than I am now!

I've had other mopars that sat for a long time that I got running, one that sat in a barn for 20 years, but none of them were quite as big of a challenge as this thing, dealing with 20+ years of dirt and neglect on top of everything that was broken.

I'm hoping to get the interior fully redone this fall and take care of the bodywork over the winter, hopefully it'll be in a new coat of red paint by spring, ready to do some cruising, then the fun parts will come :snakeman:

I hear ya Useless :blob: That had to feel good to hear it fire up and feel it move under you:thumleft:. Congat's man I went through the same thing when I brought my old 63 and pulled it home. She drove me to a few fishing holes and a run to the :drinkers: store.

What a great day :cheers:

LIFE 027.jpg

LIFE 026.jpg

Good darn deal! It really is a great feeling. I was running my hands over the Duster today wondering when that day will come. Then I was thinking what color it should be, lol! I was getting way ahead of myself.

Yesssss! Lifes victories are sweet! Keep us posted on the evolution.

Well congrats again. And if your bud decides to part with that GTX.......

Well congrats again. And if your bud decides to part with that GTX.......

Lol, yeah.... I'm pretty far down on the list for *dibbs on the GTX, he's got a lot of nice mopars, some pretty rare ones....maybe doesn't take as good of care of them as should be but what can you do.

If I had any sense I'd start saving money, he's in his late 60's/early 70's and has a son who has no care for old cars..........

I'll keep you guys up to date on the Valiant as it comes along, it's going to be the coolest 4-door Valiant anyone has ever seen, not over the top but classy, different and most importantly fun.

-
Back