It's kind of a mopar...2017 Cherokee starting system issue

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Daughters car, 2017 Jeep Cherokee. She lent it to a friend, so excuse if I don't have all the information. Apparently it would not start for him. He tried jumping it, and apparently was hooking the cables to the small start/stop battery under the pax seat instead of the jump start terminals under the hood. Both batteries were then replaced. The smaller battery is now not receiving a charge from the alternator. Main battery is. If I put a charger on the smaller on it will start and run for a short time...the smaller one runs down very quick. No idea where to look, but shouldn't the two batteries be connected together somewhere to get the alternator current? Fuse? Fusible link? Ideas and location of where to look?
Thanks!

Search for a wiring diagram.

Chilton's manual would probably work

Never saw a setup like that.

My guess is there is an isolator some where in the system. Other wise both batteries would drain if the headlights were left on for example.

Rvs with 2 batteries have an isolator.

There is a possibility that the isolator fried in the jump start attempt so now it's not charging the small battery.

Just spitballing here.

Found it I think. There’s a fuse block under the jumper cable connector. One blown. Think it’s a 80a fuse but you have to replace the whole block. Heading to the pick and pull tomorrow and grabbing one.
As always, appreciate the fast responses!!

Post some photos of the under seat battery.

Interested

150a fuse on the right side of the block the kid blew trying to jump it off the smaller battery.

IMG_1256.jpeg

IMG_1266.jpeg

IMG_1267.jpeg

So both batteries are under the front seat?

Was the truck a former police vehicle?

Looks like it's a "special service package" vehicle per battery options on rock auto.

Very interesting.

Both batteries under front seat. As far as I know not a police vehicle, she got it with fairly low miles. As I understand it, has to do with the start/stop feature of turning off engine at stop lights. Dash lights and everything runs through the little battery

-
Back