ive heard that the 65 val front wheel opening is close to the wagon rear opening

-

jeffb

Reaction score
has anybody tried it? my rt 1/4 is crunched and the wheel lip is badly damaged. can the left fender be spliced in the right rear? this would be a great help if possible.
thanks

Yes, I am the one who posted that here. It will work, but it will need to be shortened slightly by maybe 3/4 inch. I figured this out because both quarters on my wagon are FULL of bondo. I already have the drivers side cut out and I have a right front '65 Valiant fender which has been held in place to see if it would work. If you put it in the right place it even has the lower body line which will line up... Unfortunately I am deployed and cannot get any pics for you. It is a lot of work but not as much as fabricating a wheel well from scratch! If you find a pic of the valiant fender and compare it to the wagon wheelwell you will find it looks almost identical... Good luck

BTW... I figured this out by accident. I was working in my friend Ed's shop and spotted the '65 Valiant fender and it just hit me, so I asked him if I could borrow it to see if my theory would work... No one makes a wagon qtr patch yet, and I doubt they ever will. I was planning on fabbing one up until I discovered this.

ive seen this done sort of the other way around. my dad cut the openings off of a wagon and molded them in to be the rear openings on a 64 barracuda. before doing this as the finished product he did do it starting with front fenders and it wasnt as clean. sure is a lot easier to find a front fender than a decent car to cut the rear quarters off of. good luck

-
Back