Jacking Point to Raise Engine

-

bob7four

Reaction score
Where is the best / safest point to jack a 318 an inch or two in a 69 Barracuda?

As long as it is only a couple inches, put a piece of 2x4 under the oil pan, use a wide enough piece so it extends out to the edges of the pan,, and then place the jack under the piece of wood. Be sure everything is disconnected/loosened so it will lift easily.

That is what I did when I did motor mounts and headers on my teen, no issues here.

When you jack the engine up, make sure to remove the distributor cap and rotor- clearance at the firewall is tight and jacking it up can break the cap. Since you're only going up a couple of inches, there's no need to remove the whole distributor, but more than that and you may have to.
You will also need to remove the fan and radiator shroud. Keep an eye on your power steering hoses, too; if so equipped. depending on their length, they may need to be disconnected too.

Last edited:
If you're jacking it up in order to remove the oil pan (per your other thread), you're better off using an engine hoist. In a pinch you can put a piece of 2x4 under the crank pulley/balancer and jack it up there- but be careful not to distort the pulley. Better off to use the hoist.

If you choose to jack it up by the pan, make sure the pan is flat and not dished..

When you jack the engine up, make sure to remove the distributor cap and rotor- clearance at the firewall is tight and jacking it up can break the cap. Since you're only going up a couple of inches, there's no need to remove the whole distributor, but more than that and you may have to.
You will also need to remove the fan and radiator shroud. Keep an eye on your power steering hoses, too; if so equipped. depending on their length, they may need to be disconnected too.
Keep an eye on your tranny dip stick as well so that it does not come in contact with the firewall...

Maybe jack it from under the pan and stick a piece of 2x4 between the block and mounts? Would lift it 1.5". I can then remove the pan.

Also, watch the z bar and clutch linkage if it's a manual and the shift linkage if it's an automatic. I normally unbolt the z bar from the body, because there's not MUCH room before you start bending things. Same with the automatic linkage. be careful and keep that in mind.

I throw a couple of big sockets between the motor mounts and I can get the pan out. HATE doing it, I would almost rather pull it and then I can touch up the engine paint and give it a good once over.

-
Back