James' rear end and 4-link adventure

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, my 8 3/4 project started in October 2018 and expand into a 4 link install as well, which was mostly finished at the beginning of November 2019. And with some final adjustment into February 2020

It was a wrongly adventurous project filled with heart break and the highs and low lows we only get modifying a car. Thankfully there was a hero, nope not me, I self-inflicted some of the mess. Our very own Brian and Blackheart Racing aka Cope who did some amazing work, demonstrated a ton of patience with me and the obstacles in the project. I am super happy and excited about it – now that is done. So, here is the write up (work and life delayed) – which I will break up a little bit – starting with the rear end and ending with the 4 link install

In January 2018 I decided I had to have a lot more horsepower in my 66 Barracuda. Through multiple attempts to buy and build a motor (a whole other story of flakes and Asshats) I went with a Blueprint 408 which was ordered in July of 2018. This was followed by a professional built 904 transmission and torque converter also in July. At this stage I started pricing our rear ends, I knew the ford 9 inch was probably the best route to go. But I had problems with that, so I kept looking for an 8 ¾ and pricing out the online options, which would be over $3000

Finally, an 8 ¾ with 489 center section with open 3.23s and axles popped up on Craigslist. And it is for an Abody!! Score! Talked to the guy a couple times. He was responsive and gave pretty good answers – ran out of money for his 66 Dart project. Car is also for sale as well. Etc. etc.

I drove the 3 hours to his house, which had a purple 1966 Dart in the driveway. His house was in a rough area, lots of people shuffling around. As I waited for him for a few minutes it seemed it was people traffic going both directions. Before I could think on this more, he showed up, a literal ball of energy. He was 5’4” and close to 250 pounds jumping all over the place and talking a mile a minute. He would not stop moving or talking, as I was attempting to measure the rear axle he was pacing back and forth. I started to get a little concerned, between this dude and the shuffling people going by his house. And I have a pocket full for money

He wanted to $800 for the rear end, even though I really wanted to get out of there and he knew I drove a great distance. I had to negotiate the price. Which was pretty easy, ended up getting the rear end, new shock mounts, and two rusty sets of 11” drum brakes for $720. I thanked him as we loaded up and I got out of there. At the corner of his street, where I stopped to turn on the main road a person stepped out from a semi hidden area. He took a few steps toward me and quickly realized I was not a customer and returned to his spot.

Happy, relieved and excited to get out of there with what I felt was a good deal on a rear end. Next stop the highly respected rear end shop in my area.

Next phase rebuilding the craigslist rear end

IMG_8857.JPG

IMG_8858.JPG

IMG_8859.JPG

As I was on the road, I knew I could not get the rear end out of the car by myself. Quickly decided to call the rear end shop, they told me they were backed up and could not rebuild it for about a month. However, they could inspect it and give me a quote. I headed straight there

Brought it in for inspection and told the tech the circumstance and where the rear end came from. After discussion, I was told I could leave the rear end there until they could get to it for the inspection and rebuild. Asked them to replace all seals and bearings and make sure everything was solid. Also decided on upgrading the center section to the Easton TrueTrack with new 3.55 gears. Since everything would be apart and cleaned, I was asked if I wanted to powder coat the housing for $500. At this stage I was spending a lot of money and decided to go with a rattle can black paint to at least hide the white. I was told they would call me in about a month before starting work to confirm condition and final cost. Which worked for my time line

After I got home, I cleaned up 11 inch drum brakes with one set being pretty nice. Put those on craigslist $100 for the nice set and $50 for the so-so. (sorry miss placed the pictures). Two days later, a guy bought both sets for $100 – sweet. Down to $620 for the rear end.

About a month later, I had not heard from the rear end shop and decided to call them. I was told, the rear end was all rebuilt and ready to go, everything is good. And remarked the axles and gears where in good working order. I could bring $1500 dollars and pick up it up. Most of this cost was the TrueTrack and gears. Still ouch. And I was doubting myself about not powder coating. A week or two later I was able to sell the open 3.23 carrier for $75

Next phase lots of scope creep - 4link and rear end swap

IMG_0660.JPG

ERVD8792.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_8991.JPG

Here is where the project goes a little sideways and hit scope creep. My built 904 and torque converter disappeared after being picked up. Thankfully the shipping company scanned it at pickup. Not to go into details, but I could not get the replacement 904 until the builder was reimbursed from the shipping company. Which took almost three months before the 904/Converter replacement arrived – different shipping company

During this stoppage I started looking at upgrading suspension to handle the big increase in torque, frame rail connectors, boxing kframe etc. were easy decisions. My focus moved to the rear suspension. I had already upgraded to Espo 6 leaf springs a few years back and started looking at some of the CalTracs offerings and reviews. From my perspective the CalTracs solution was to one dimensional toward drag racing. And when I added up the cost – I started looking for other options.

I was excited to learn that RMS has the Street Lynx for the 66 Barracuda. I did some research and found a lot of positive reviews and write ups. Made a couple phone calls to RMS to discuss options and pulled the trigger on the Street Lynx with the Viking coil overs and matching Vikings front shocks. Delivery would be a little over a month because they are made to order.

Many delays during the engine-transmission swap and to be honest I ran out of money. Fast forward to September 2019 and I started having discussions with @Cope to install the 4 link, 8 ¾ and Wilwood Disc brakes. I quickly become comfortable with Brian and his enthusiasm and excitement about my project. We agreed on everything and he could take on my project toward the end of October.

Jump to the end of October, dropped the car off and Brian got to work quickly dropping the 7 ¼ with the leaf springs and removing and prepping everything. He kept me updated during the process with some pictures during the mockup, testing fitting and the initial install. In one of the test fit pictures you can see the borrowed mustang wheels which are 245/45-17s with almost negative backspacing – happy with the size of tires I was able to fit under the car. In fact, I bet I could get more under there. And of course, super happy with the welds. The project was really moving along

Next phase disc brake install

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

Oh man....

I know what happened next.....

Thanks for the kind words and being a great customer. I wish all my customers were like you!!!

Did you ever install the wide band AFR?

Thanks again!

Yes I did. For a while it would error out on Lean. But there was zero doubt I was running rich. On a warm day, it worked for a few minutes and displayed in the 13s - which is rich and I felt accurate. Than leaned out. Fixed the carb, redid the curve and threw more initial and low and behold it started working . It went through a bit of a cycle as I was driving. Been reading 14.6 since. To be honest, I am not 100% confident in the reading.

60539107318__C48FE19A-FD30-460A-ACEB-E976F5E202FF.JPG

60539116498__22C4A4AB-C5D5-465F-A53A-C3D74D44DF66.JPG

IMG_2783.jpg

Ace fuel uses an old school analog "sniffer" and like i said if you get the right guy they can do a hell of a job.

If you get some "new guy" well lets just say they dont teach how to use that machine at tech schools..

I went to ace with a pocket full of cash and they turned me away as they will not bother with multi carb engines as "they take to mich time to tune".... so they are not the end all be all of carb tuning....

Nor am I but we can play with it and see if it gets better.

Edit- sammy just got approved for his loan on the dyno so we will be building a dyno cell next door in the very near future if you realy want to get wild.

:)

Let me backup a little bit, I had decided to go with Wilwood rear disc brakes. I did run into a problem measuring the offset. Called and talked with Wilwood two different times about how to measure and why my measurement wasn’t matching their options. Sadly, I rationalized that the axles were not bolted down. Which would take place during the install. Order the brakes 2.36” offset and moved on.

Now back to the install. I get a call from Brian that he can’t bolt up the disc brakes with the axles. It turns out most 8-3/4 axles do not have 2.36" offset, the Wilwood rotors will not fit over standard wheel studs, and you need an access hole in the flange to reach the retainer nuts. Yeah! I wish Wilwood would have let me know about this. Hurriedly we jump on a call with Doctor Diff (who of course knew all about these design quirks) and ships out the required axles

A few days later, axles arrive, and we are back in business. The next day, I see I missed a call from Brian and then I get a text “call me”. Damn, this can’t be good. I call him back, after a pause Brian says “I am just going to come right out and say it, your axle housing is bent and is not usable. Basically, it is trash.” I will admit that was a gut punch. At least I didn’t powder coat the housing.

We talked over options – which were few since everything was based on the 8 ¾. And finding a new housing was limited. Basically, Moser was the only option. I ordered the Abody housing, with perches and the back brace installed. Once again, I passed on powder coating the housing. With a little research I found I could order everything through Summit Racing and save $175 on shipping. Ordered.

I called up RMS and told them my story about the bent housing and that I had to order another pair of housing tabs. They sent them free of charge, great product and customer service. About a week later the new housing arrived. No perches! Damn it. A couple days later the perches arrive.

After that everything moved somewhat smoothly. Soon the drive shaft was ordered and installed. There was some drama around the exhaust fitting around the new drive shaft. A little debate if I could run open exhaust. Luckily Brian and his dad were able to muscle the H pipe exhaust to fit.

Next car pickup and test drive

1a.JPG

2a.JPG

3a.JPG

Man this is traumatizing me all over again..

I would also like to add i think it was VERY unprofessional of Willwood to NOT mention the fact that theirrear disk kit will not work on factory axles. Also their E brake cable will not work with the factory cable.

Before this job i held Willwood in very high regards. After this i dont think i will ever be ordering anything from them. Thats how much it bothers me that they did not disclose the info. When i called and spoke to willwood tech they told me "we have never had anyone report that our kit will not work on factory axles." A quick google search turns out it is a very well known fact.

-
Back