Jamie's advice

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So dead dodge garage is my favorite youtube channel and in one video he's saving a rusty and crusty 74 duster.

He expresses that he feels about these cars the same way some people feel about pets or kids. I agree, I feel for these cars.

He then ends his video by saying, "before giving one of these cars the Sawzall treatment, stand back and ask yourself, is it really that bad"

I have a valiant that matches that sentiment and no it isn't really that bad, in fact it's a bit better than I was expecting (after getting it cleaned up). I knew before purchasing that it has issues and it came at an extremely affordable price.

Parts car turns builder
Thanks Jamie from dead dodge garage for the inspiration.

20240219_144626.jpg

20240219_162648.jpg

20240219_162640.jpg

I'm a big DDG fan too. And yes, I definitely agree with the sentiment that these cars are irreplaceable relics that need to be preserved. The issue is that the resources required to restore a car in sub-optimal condition are difficult enough to come by such that often times "project cars" rot into the ground rather than ever seeing the road again. Because of this, I think parting out the uglier of the ducklings has a net-positive effect.

I Saved a '65... it was pretty rotten.
YouTube definitely got me up out of my chair alot of times! Thanks Jamie!

rust.jpg

after.jpg

20230708_125628.jpg

What ever inspires you to “do it,” vs “idle chatter” and adding to the car sitting longer is a net positive. The main thing is people have all the energy to tear them apart and box and maybe even catalog the pieces. Then something comes up and 3 years later the car is sitting there just hoping to have its cover taken off and maybe see some sun light.

I understand fully about the passion or love for these cars. But I warn you about getting sucked into a lot of these channels about any subject. UTG, DDG, just to name a few start out awesome. Then they go from working in their driveway to a small shop to a big shop with sponsors and banners and they themselves get pushing the same products they could not afford a few years back. You cannot do that. Utube, it’s a great avenue for motivation and information. Plenty of any subject on the earth. But it is so commercialized now that it makes you wonder how much is “love” anymore and not “love of money.”

Sorry OP, I don’t want to kill your excitement. If this motivates you that is awesome. I personally enjoy the information vs the drama these people bring to the table. One of the people on here has a tag line: “don't be retarded finish what you started.” I think that is awesome advice.
Syleng1

Wife gave me a compliment last year, she says she was impressed... I bought a project without 6 foot weeds or a small tree growing thru the floor pans!!
I have always loved the hunt, the build, the sense of satisfaction of builds. I also have a desire to save a savable car. Since over the many decades these cars come and go and can't afford to sit here and horde, they find new homes. They have to sell for enough that I at least breakeven. It has got hard to do with piss poor projects always overpriced!
Bad part is I never sell a car that I don't feel a huge reqret, depression etc. when it leaves, no matter what kind of turd it turns out to be!! OK so that 65 Dart that fell off the jack stand glad it left..it was cursed! Ouch!!

You cannot do that.

Although I can appreciate your realism, I kinda feel like your making assumptions about people you don't know.

You can't judge a book by it's cover and you can never tell by looking at a person what kind of connections, goals, or resources they have or don't.

Again, I do agree with you message and you're right everyone should be realistic with the resources they have available to them.

I am happy to spread Jamie's message about saving the bottom end of the what is left of these cars. If we don't save them no one will and i have personally found more fun in saving a junkyard dog than paying a lot of money for a polished car that is so shiny you have no idea how it was really built.

I agree, I feel for these cars.

Agreed! The three parts cars I have are beyond salvage. Two of them are so rotted out and rusted I'd have to replace every scrap of metal to make them road worthy. They have become parts donors that so far have helped well over a dozen members here keep their cars and projects going.

However, this 64 Valiant is different. It has no floors to speak of and no interior but as long as it's not all rotted out underneath I plan to get it going again. I'll use the floors from one car, the entire drivetrain from another junker and what's left of the interior and seats from the third one to make one good car. What's left of the junk cars will get parceled out to others for their projects.

20220623_162428.jpg

Although I can appreciate your realism, I kinda feel like your making assumptions about people you don't know.

You can't judge a book by it's cover and you can never tell by looking at a person what kind of connections, goals, or resources they have or don't.

Again, I do agree with you message and you're right everyone should be realistic with the resources they have available to them.

I am happy to spread Jamie's message about saving the bottom end of the what is left of these cars. If we don't save them no one will and i have personally found more fun in saving a junkyard dog than paying a lot of money for a polished car that is so shiny you have no idea how it was really built.
When I see something that's pretty crusty I always think...Its just metal, it can be cut out and new welded in. Maybe it won't be perfect or like new but, can you make the car usable. Like they say on Roadkill...Don't get it right just get it running or, doing the wrong thing the right way or, hit the road and worry later...lol

I guess one could say, the nice thing about "less desirable" cars, is that you do not have to take the concours approach. Some parts like floor pans are the same. I'm all in on this. Without these working stiff cars, there would be no hot ****. Agree with plymouth67 on the Roadkill sentiments.....

I can see both sides of the coin on this one. I've had several buddies cut out floors that were just pitted and replace. In my mind, it didn't need full replacement and sometimes it cost them 2 years of enjoyment of the car! Myself, I've driven for a few years with actual holes where debris woudl come in, but finally it got to me and I cut them out and welded in new floors.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one. I've had several buddies cut out floors that were just pitted and replace. In my mind, it didn't need full replacement and sometimes it cost them 2 years of enjoyment of the car! Myself, I've driven for a few years with actual holes where debris woudl come in, but finally it got to me and I cut them out and welded in new floors.
IF it takes a guy 2 years to do floors, he needs to find some HELP!!!!!!

I feel like there is different tiers of enjoyment when it comes to classic cars. You have folks that buy and trade cars that are already done and wouldn’t be seen with anything that needs work, very rarely do they even work on the cars.

I’m on the other spectrum I enjoy the hunt and process of finding cheap clapped out cars and bring them back to at least driving condition. I enjoy more of a project ratted out hot rod over a top level restoration.

What’s funny when I go to car shows I’ll walk past 20 cars that been restored to look at the one that looks like it’s still being worked on.

It’s just what I’m into, I enjoy the process over the car itself most of the time.

I feel like there is different tiers of enjoyment when it comes to classic cars. You have folks that buy and trade cars that are already done and wouldn’t be seen with anything that needs work, very rarely do they even work on the cars.

I’m on the other spectrum I enjoy the hunt and process of finding cheap clapped out cars and bring them back to at least driving condition. I enjoy more of a project ratted out hot rod over a top level restoration.

What’s funny when I go to car shows I’ll walk past 20 cars that been restored to look at the one that looks like it’s still being worked on.

It’s just what I’m into, I enjoy the process over the car itself most of the time.
I totally agree. I love the hunt, the build, and I hate having to sell! I could never keep them all!
It can be nice to be a decent driver that someone else has put in at least somewhat quality time and effort, but so many times it will just bit a guy in the ***! Like the idiot that replaced the water pump with grade 3 hardware bolts., for example.

Sad part today seems that so many buyers want everything done, perfcct, everything new or rebuilt, they want it perfect and for pennies on the $. These guys can't change their friggin oil. Or just won't.

In 1988 I bought a 1970 Dart Swinger from an old lady. The cars weren't worth much in those days and the plan was to drive it until it needed major work and then use it as a parts car for my other 70 Dart (which had a lot of sentimental value). One thing led to another and here is the Parts Car today, and yes that's still what we call it...

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

-
Back