JC Whitney HD 5 leaf springs.

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on this site used the J.C.Whitney heavey duty, 5 leaf rear springs in their A-Bodies. If so what do you think of them,???. Any problems that you may have encountered,???.
JCW has them @ $59.99 each right now w/ free shipping. Thats a good price.
I was thinking of a set of these, or a set of The MP SS #s 002 & 003, they are $110.00 each at Summit, or lots of other places. I have MP SS's on my other cars with no complaints, but the JCW price is good, to your door for about $136.00/pr (with a handling charge). These would be for my newly acquired 66 Dart GT 273 2bbl (at Present). I'm affraid to let the air out of the air shocks on it lol.
Some of the guys on BBD were talking about them.

Thanks Dave C.

I bought a set for my 67 dart a few years ago and i'm very happy with them.
Mike

dart67 said:
I bought a set for my 67 dart a few years ago and i'm very happy with them.
Mike
It's been my experience over the years that their "Accessories" are cheap crap and best avoided. However, the hard parts for suspension, steering, engine, brakes, etc. are top shelf and are well worth the money, and they carry some really hard to find items. Hope this helps

Just thought I would let you know the springs from J.C.Whitney are made right here in Pontiac,Michigan.

Place called John R spring service.

I have used them several times with only one set being junk ...well junk may be harsh lets say not as good as previous sets have been. They used to offer XHD and HD versions and the XHD were really pretty stiff ...the HD werent all that HD but worked on a bread and butter car that didnt need that heavy a suspension. I say get them ...you can always send them back if needed.

My self I have a local spring shop build mine for me and the price is between Whitney and Summit/Jeg's plus I got someone to ***** at if the dont work as wanted ...LOL

I just put a set on my 67 Dart v8,$130 bucks w/s.h. Im in,only it leans
to the right...I dont know if springs or ride hight is saggin on front.next
chance I get i will swap em side to side.Any ideas?

I put a set on my 67 Barracuda and they seemed a little shorter than the originals but they worked. I bought the stiffest ones they had and wished I would have gotten the standard leafs because I got a daily driver, not a race car. It rides a little stiff for my liking. I'll probably replace themm in about a year or so.

FWIW, I just installed the XHD A-body springs from Mancini, they cost more ($184.50 for the pair) but my experiences over the years with JCWhitney have not been good so I wasn't willing to take the chance with them.

Anyway, they are 5-leaf, each of the leafs are slightly thicker than the leafs in the 6-leaf springs I removed from the Barracuda making the total pack about 0.030" thicker than the stock 6-leaf. The stock 6-leafs had sagged to the point they were flat and the PO had made 8" long shackles to keep the car level. This made for a lot of bottoming and a jarring ride. With the new XHD springs & stock shackles the car is sitting about 1" higher than it was and the ride is smoother with no more bottoming.

I do not get any more wheel hop now and was able to cut about .27 seconds from my 60' times and improved my 1/4 mile ET by over .5 seconds.

After reading about the JCW 5 leaf springs on here and another site I ordered a set for my 69 dart. I guess I'll see just how much they help here in a couple weeks or so. I have the stock hd 340 swinger springs in it now and the wheel lip sits just above the rim...and thats with the hd shocks with the coil springs.

Wow that was some fast shipping! I had my springs sitting on the doorstep in two days!!!! It'll be a while before they actually go in now though. Getting ready to pull suspension and put on the rotisserre.

I have a set on my dart and I feel they work well. They are stiffer than stock and the rear of the car sat exactly where I wanted it to be.

I read the previous threads about them and called to order a set only to learn that they won't ship them to hawaii. I'm bummed. they evidently only use one shipping source and THEY won't ship overseas.

my freind ordered a carpet set for his jeep from J.C.
they wouldn't ship it here because the kit comes with adhesive, considered too flammable to go on a plane. he had it sent to a friend's house in seattle, had HIM take the glue out and forward it to hawaii, shipping it twice. (WHEW)
...just some of the travails of living in paradise !

pauly v.100 said:
I read the previous threads about them and called to order a set only to learn that they won't ship them to hawaii. I'm bummed. they evidently only use one shipping source and THEY won't ship overseas.

my freind ordered a carpet set for his jeep from J.C.
they wouldn't ship it here because the kit comes with adhesive, considered too flammable to go on a plane. he had it sent to a friend's house in seattle, had HIM take the glue out and forward it to hawaii, shipping it twice. (WHEW)
...just some of the travails of living in paradise !

You know anyone in the continental US you could send them to then have them ship them to ya via FedEX or UPS?

Dusterb318 said:
You know anyone in the continental US you could send them to then have them ship them to ya via FedEX or UPS?
SORTA DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF BUYING CHEAP SPRINGS.

bought a set last july. installed them with no problems. they sat just right in my 68 dart.

flyboy01 said:
SORTA DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF BUYING CHEAP SPRINGS.

Maybe....depends on the shipping but they won't ship to there anyway so that's the only choice if he wants those.

:angel9:
Dusterb318 said:
Maybe....depends on the shipping but they won't ship to there anyway so that's the only choice if he wants those.

just found and called a company right here in town that will re-arc (cold) my springs to whatever ride height i want for 60.00 per spring, PLUS, get them in early and pick em up from will-call in the afternoon!
... a miracle!

pauly v.100 said:
:angel9:

just found and called a company right here in town that will re-arc (cold) my springs to whatever ride height i want for 60.00 per spring, PLUS, get them in early and pick em up from will-call in the afternoon!
... a miracle!
Best thing is you keep a local buisiness afloat so they will be there next time you need them.

the springs mancini sells are made by the same manufracturer as jc whitneys are

What is the link to those JC WHitney springs? All I can find are 4 leaf springs.

Thats because the 5 leaf packs were supposedly discontinued. Read the very last 2 posts of that thread that thread that black betty posted. I know that The Paddock still sells the same ones I bought 10 years ago but seems they want a few more dollars for them now than they did then. 5 leaf spring packs at The Paddock

I received my JC Whitney springs today. I don't know what they are supposed to fit, but it sure isn't my Dart. Springs are long, oval front eyes, huge centerbolts, just plain wrong. When I called, they argued with me that someone must have changed my car in the past that these were the right springs. I told them I want a return shipper and a refund. Still waiting for an emailed return shipper. Never again!!!

-
Back