jcwhitney leaf springs update

-

player1up

Reaction score
well called JC this morning and they said that the springs they have listed on thier site for 6?-76 duster are the wrong ones (PN967570) (manufacturer PN PLY707), the ones they sent me are 24 inches from front eye hole to axle alignment pin with an oval front eye. nice guy James from technical support said that the manufacturer said it should be 20 inches...so they are sending me return lables and looking into getting the correct springs.

pics can be found....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=17909

oh and I'm having some trouble getting the front bracket off of the old spring.

any ideas, should I cut it and get a new bolt? if so where do I find the funky locking nut that is on there now?

Get an air gun. That's how I did mine.

Those will be tough to get off by hand.

You're on the right track with some penetrating oil to break 30 years of crud.

If it's the old one and you don't care about the rubber, heat it up and put a wax candle on it. The wax may fuse the threads. (Always in my toolbox) :thumbup:

player1up said:
:scratch: never heard of that one..

Wax on, Wax off

Got a stubborn bolt that's rusted or seized? Try heating it up with a blow torch and apply candle wax to the treads. For really stubborn bolts you may have to reheat it a few times and re-apply the candle wax to the threads but as wax is applied to the heated bolt threads the wax is sucked down into the rust just as flux pulls solder into a pipe joint. As the wax cools it acts as a lubricant, helping to free up the bolt. A recent conversation with a friend in the racing business had the pleasure of an old spark snapping off with the threads still lodged in the engine. Heating the plug and block around the spark plug and applying candle wax a few times allowed what was left of the old plug to be extracted with an extraction tool.

This one is new to me too - but rest assured - I will have to try it.

Great tip here from the man in the great white north.:thumbup: It works. I've seen guys do it but it's been so long ago I forgot about it until I read this. Thanks for the reminder Jim.

Well, Just got off the phone with James at JCW and he said that they are "unable" to place special orders for springs at this time.... whatever that means.. :cussing:

Still not even sure if they sent me the correct ones.. he said that the manufacturer couldn't tell him what the springs were supposed to look like for my car.

so JCW is refunding the money and I'm on the hunt for springs. again

now time to see if the carpet they sent me is correct :lol:

has anyone ordered the std 4 leaf springs from JCW and get the correct ones..
If so what was the part number listed on the packing slip.

Check these guys out. They are the supplier for JCW. Made in the USA. They have the 5 leaf springs you may be looking for. www.johnrspring.com. Lots of people have them. 60.35ea. Shipped the same day when I ordered them This Monday.

JCW only has the 4 leafs I heard. This is the set your are looking for. If you want 6 leaf try espo.com
-Dave

Thanks Dave I'll put that one in the memory bank..

.be placing the order as soon as I get the refund from JC

once again the members here pull me through!!

What did they charge for shipping?

I don't remember or I didn't ask. Probably less than $30.

-
Back