jeep cherokee rear

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
i am possibly looking into a jeep cherokee drum brake 8.25 rear end. building up an 8.75 right now is a bit cost prohibitive. anybody use a boxy jeep cherokee rear end ? what is its width compared to an A body rear? spring mounts dont matter i can move em to where i need them.

other option would be a ford ranger 8.8 rear, but the jeep rear would be easier to find a limited slip with 3.55s, and is still mopar.

thanks
matt

Width should be the same (+/- 1") as a Ranger 8.8--but I do not know exactly what that would be.

if you go with a jeep 8 1/4 be careful because the 8 1/4 looks a lot like the dana 35.

The dana 35 will have smaller tubes but at initial glance and if you are not used to working with them, the centers look very similar. Make sure you don't get a dana 35 thinking its an 8 1/4.

what diameter are the tubes on the dana 35 and the 8.25 jeep? are they both 3" diameter? what do i need to look for to spot the dana 35? also doesnt the dana 35 come available with a sure grip, and decent gears.

i still eventually want an 8.75 under my cuda, but was thinking this rear would also be just fine under the 67/68/69 cuda project as we are going to use a stock magnum 360, with an AOD, headers and dual exhaust. 3.55 gears. this should make it ballzy enough for my wife, and not over the top.

Dana 35 is weaker, the welds holding the tubes to the centersection can fail, axles snap easily.

Most Cherokee sites should have a spotters' guide. One big help: if a Cherokee has ABS, then it does NOT have the 8.25" axle. (All ABS Cherokees got the Dana.)

if you look at the back cover of the Dana30 and the 8.25 the covers are both rounded but look closer at the bottom of the case housing itself...

The Dana's case will be rounded following the cover and the 8.25 will be flat with two small notches/ears before curving up following the cover.

axle_id_01.gif

C825indentifier.jpg

cover_dana35c.jpg

Im putting more than 600hp to my D35....

I love hearing about this weak condition they have, more than 7 years that rear axle is being punished.

-
Back