Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk: 0-60 In 2.7 Seconds, $79,999?

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk: 0-60 In 2.7 Seconds, $79,999?

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles [NYSE:FCAU] has given the Hellcat-powered Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk the green light as Project K.

But this model may be a rare bird sold for possibly only the 2018 model year, before the Hellcats and HEMI are killed off from the SRT lineup for the 2019 model year.

Our sources tell us that this week FCA showed dealers the new Grand Cherokee Trackhawk.

According to the sources, the general response upon seeing and hearing the Hellcat-powered Jeep roll on stage was, "That thing sounds insane!"

Performance figures we continue to hear do indeed sound absolutely insane, too—nearly unbelievable. With 700 horsepower from the supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 and all-wheel drive, the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk can supposedly run 0-60 mph in just 2.7 seconds.

To provide that kind of performance, the Trackhawk model will be put on a diet to the tune of a rumored 500 pounds courtesy of aluminum suspension, two-piece brake rotors, and more.

A big piece of the puzzle is price. Sources are telling us an unconfirmed MSRP of $79,999. Whether Jeep will be able to stop dealers from charging well over $100,000 for a supposed one-year special will be a sight to see.

We'll bring you more information as it becomes available.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1099751_jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk-0-60-in-2-7-seconds-79999

Hellcat-Powered Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk Could Be Delayed, One-And-Done

Back in June, we brought you news that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles would give the green light to the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk with the supercharged V-8 ("Hellcat") powertrain. Sources suggest that the hottest Jeep performer ever was already in development with mules on the road, and had the code name Project K.

Today, we're hearing word that the vehicle has been delayed.

While we haven't been able to confirm with Fiat Chrysler PR, a source suggests that the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk has been delayed a year. It had been mooted as a 2017 model, but the latest suggestion is that it will be a 2018 model.

Those sources at JeepTrackhawkForums say the delay will lead to an extended model year for the 2018 TrackHawk--and then no more, since Chrysler could be ready to retire the HEMI and Hellcat engines after the 2018 model year.

Future FCA performance models would reportedly go either with twin-turbo four or twin-turbo six power, something already on display in the upcoming Alfa Romeo Giulia.

A Fiat Chrysler Automobiles [NYSE:FCAU] spokesperson confirmed that the company "can't comment on future product plans."

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk could be one of the final V-8-powered Grand Cherokees, if it adopts the supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI V-8 engine. With 707 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque, all-wheel drive, and an eight-speed transmission, it could be the quickest Jeep ever, with 0-60 mph times in the 3.0-second range and a top speed approaching 200 mph.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1099647_breaking-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk-hellcat-delayed

Bentley Bentayga Will Be The Fastest SUV In The World

Bentley’s new Bentayga debuting at this month’s 2015 Frankfurt Auto Show isn’t only going to be the most luxurious SUV on the market; it will the fastest too. Bentley has confirmed today that its SUV will have a top speed of 187 mph. Performance of this nature is rare in most cars, and until today it was unheard of in an SUV.

By comparison, the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S tops out at 175 mph, Land Rover’s Range Rover Sport SVR only reaches 162 mph, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT won’t do better than 160 mph. Of course, we all know Jeep is working on a Hellcat-powered Grand Cherokee Trackhawk that will likely obliterate all of its rivals.

But for now it looks like the Bentayga will remain king. The big Brit will pack the Volkswagen Group’s latest W-12 engine, which thanks to twin-turbocharging and direct-injection technologies delivers in excess of 600 horsepower and 664 pound-feet of torque.

The teaser video above provides a glimpse of what’s to come.

Note, the 187-mph Bentayga will be the regular model. A potential Bentayga Speed variant was recently spotted at the Nürburgring and will likely prove faster. We should have more details soon as the Frankfurt Auto Show gets underway September 15. For more from the show, head to our dedicated hub.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/bentley-bentayga-will-be-the-fastest-suv-in-the-128343791002.html

Looks like there's going to be a world's fastest SUV war coming....

So what did they do, make bets on how many times an SUV can flip?

I remember a few years back at the Nats they ran all SRT vehicles down the track and the Grand Cherokee was the quickest out of the bunch. I would love to see what it will run in the 1/4.

Where will all these cars be in 40 years? I drive my 40 year old truck everyday. All these cars will be scrapped out and piles of plastic in somebody's back yard in 40 years.

Where will all these cars be in 40 years? I drive my 40 year old truck everyday. All these cars will be scrapped out and piles of plastic in somebody's back yard in 40 years.

Did you guys think the cars we are on this very forum about would have lasted this long 40+ years ago? From everything I've heard about the late 70's early 80's, A bodies and a lot of other muscle cars were "pretty disposable" and many were scrapped... I guess what I'm trying to say is time will tell if the cars being produced now will last or not :)

The 6.1 SRT jeep I seen in person run down the track was pretty mean. It will be interesting to see a jeep with a hellcat for sure.

Did you guys think the cars we are on this very forum about would have lasted this long 40+ years ago? From everything I've heard about the late 70's early 80's, A bodies and a lot of other muscle cars were "pretty disposable" and many were scrapped... I guess what I'm trying to say is time will tell if the cars being produced now will last or not :)

The 6.1 SRT jeep I seen in person run down the track was pretty mean. It will be interesting to see a jeep with a hellcat for sure.

As a dealership mechanic in recent years, I can tell you these newer cars are all plastic junk in comparison to anything made before about 1980. Some of the GM cars needed repairs right off the pregnant truck even before they could be put on the lot for sale when I worked for the local chevy dealer in the early 90s. They are all held together with clips and speed nuts. Nine times out of ten when trim is removed, it breaks......when it's NEW. I expect that with a 40 plus year old piece.

The funny thing is, I can remove all the trim on my 40 year old truck without breaking a thing.....and have.

I would have to agree w rusty on this one. I have a 1988 dodge daytona shelby z. Its a 2.2 turbo ll 5 speed t top car. I had one of these when they were new back in the day. This is my second. I bought it in 1999. There were tons of turbo mopes in the junkyards back then, and i raided many of em for spare parts, hit up the dealer for NOS parts for it before that source of parts dried up. There is hardly anything available for these cars now. I am glad i got what i got for its restoration.

Currently the car sits on 4 flats in the corner of my shop waiting its turn. I dont think the newer cars will be as popular as the muscle cars in the long run. The problem is the fact that theres so much plastic, and electronics. It will make it cost prohibitive to restore one. My shelby is a good case in point. The NOS parts dried up for it after i had the foresight to get what i could get to actually put this one back together. Especially the electronic, and electrical stuff. This will likely be the case with the new muscle cars, unless as the OEM phases out its stock of NOS parts if the interest is there maybe somebody like year one or others will continue to produce the parts needed to keep them on the road.

Typically it takes about 20 to 25 years before there is revived interest in an older car. They usually go from new to about 5 years old, then hit the used car lots. From 5 to 10 years old most are pretty good used cars. 10 to 15 years old end up being most teens first car. Lots are junked or parted out at this point.

With the loads of electronics , forget restoring one of these new musclecars decades from now. A basket case will cost you a fortune to put together.

At least the old stuff though expensive is rather simple to work on and repair.

Just my .02
Matt

As a dealership mechanic in recent years, I can tell you these newer cars are all plastic junk in comparison to anything made before about 1980. Some of the GM cars needed repairs right off the pregnant truck even before they could be put on the lot for sale when I worked for the local chevy dealer in the early 90s. They are all held together with clips and speed nuts. Nine times out of ten when trim is removed, it breaks......when it's NEW. I expect that with a 40 plus year old piece.

The funny thing is, I can remove all the trim on my 40 year old truck without breaking a thing.....and have.

I totally agree, and that is if the manufacturer doesn't stop making parts for them in 10-15 years.
It's all about sales, and not longevity.

I see Matt agrees also. :D

Also, where will the "collector" status of these new cars be? You think for one minute that these aftermarket companies like Year One and so on will be stocking parts for them? They will still be stocking parts for our classic Mopars, because that's where the money is.

So what did they do, make bets on how many times an SUV can flip?

A flip is side-to-side, a cartwheel is end-over-end.... :glasses7:

We could make a good matrix for betting.

Each 10 mph speed increment over 100, then pick how many flips or cartwheels for that speed.

Then we can gather data on who can to the most flips/cartwheels for each given speed...

I remember a few years back at the Nats they ran all SRT vehicles down the track and the Grand Cherokee was the quickest out of the bunch. I would love to see what it will run in the 1/4.

That's because the Grand Cherokee had a stronger drive line that could handle more power.

They cranked down the tune in the cars so they wouldn't go through axles like Kotex under warranty. they limited the power output through the engine controller on the cars...

That's because the Grand Cherokee had a stronger drive line that could handle more power.

They cranked down the tune in the cars so they wouldn't go through axles like Kotex under warranty. they limited the power output through the engine controller on the cars...

Or its because the Jeep is AWD and had no tire spin.

Yeah! Now we have a Jeep that is worthless on grass.:banghead:

-
Back