Jeep Rearend Wheels and Tires

-

treetrimmer12

Reaction score
I just installed a 1996 Jeep (8.25, 35C, Disc brakes) in a 1967 Valiant. Once the 205/60/15's were put on, the outside of the tire hit the top outside of the wheel well. I expected the tire to be further out than the original but not that far. I measured the WMS to WMS which was 56.5" where the 7.25 was 54.5. The tires look like they need to go more toward the springs at least another 3", that would put the required backspacing of new rims at around 7".
I'm sure I am overthinking this. Could someone help?

I would have had the rearend cut down to A body size but I can't find anyone locally that does that work. I found a company that would take the rearend down to the case and axles then send them out to be cut down then reassemble rearend. All this work for $95 per hour. I'm not really cheap but I could buy an A body 8.75 complete for what that would cost.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe try wheels with more backspacing and less outspacing like a mustang wheel.

I did a similar swap, I found a Dana 44, I'm running 2012 Mustang 18X8's on mine and using a 1-1/4" spacer on the front for clearance.

I have a '69 Valiant.

I did a similar swap, I found a Dana 44, I'm running 2012 Mustang 18X8's on mine and using a 1-1/4" spacer on the front for clearance.

I have a '69 Valiant.

Love to see some pics of that setup! Nice tat by the way, I have a 72 SE P code car.

Thanks. I'll get a thread started on it, it's still in the project phase.

-
Back