Jeep trans problem

-

Rob

Reaction score
Not an A-body but I know we have an amazingly diversified group of smart folks here. My wife has a 2002 Jeep TJ, or perhaps Wrangler in the US. The trans idiot light came on today so I checked the fluid for starters, it wasn't low but it was bubbly/fizzy on the dip stick? I can't say I've ever seen that before, doesn't look healthy that's for sure. Before I rush off to a trans shop to get a flush, inspection, get bent over, etc. I thought it best to consult my Mopar experts so I don't come in totally clueless. Any thoughts?

The level was right or high ? it could be just the fluid circulating, you checked it in nuetral and not park? the trans doesn't circulate in park

The level was right or high ? it could be just the fluid circulating, you checked it in nuetral and not park? the trans doesn't circulate in park

It was high actually, I checked it in park with the motor running, didn't know you should check it in neutral. Between the idiot light being on and the fluid looking like soda pop on the stick something isn't right.

it will say on the dipstick. if my memory serves me, the dipstick said to check it hot in park on my 94 XJ

it looks like this is going to be for yours...

1. Transmission fluid must be at normal operating temperature for accurate fluid level check. Drive vehicle if necessary to bring fluid temperature up to normal hot operating temperature of 82°C (180°F). The torque converter fills in both the P (PARK) and N (NEUTRAL) positions.

2. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground.

3. Apply parking brakes.

4. Place the selector lever in P (PARK) to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate

So it sounds like the tranny should be in PARK on this model. However, it never specifically states that the engine should be running during the check. It says that it should run for at least a minute BEFORE checking, but it never says that is should be running WHILE you check it.

I always thought it was supposed to be running? Regardless, what concerns me other than the light being on is the look of the fluid, every time I've ever checked trans fluid it looked the same as the oil does on a dip stick, other than color of course. This looks like it's boiled perhaps?

I always thought it was supposed to be running? Regardless, what concerns me other than the light being on is the look of the fluid, every time I've ever checked trans fluid it looked the same as the oil does on a dip stick, other than color of course. This looks like it's boiled perhaps?

does it smell burnt? or is it a dark reddish brown color? the color if the fluid will pretty much tell you what the condition the trans is in. if it has been overheated or the bands are toast it will burn the fluid. the only reasons i know that the light would come on is if it is low on fluid, or the trans temp is high. it could possibly be a loose connector, is it slipping?

It doesn't look burnt, it looks light pink more than red, it looks thinned if you know what I mean. I didn't actually smell it but there wasn't a burnt smell lingering or I would have noticed. And no it isn't slipping, she said it was running perfectly but the light came on.

First off, don't get the transmission flushed. We have a 4800 buck flush machine here and we only use it to flush the lines and cooler out when we do a transmission job. Very rarely will you ever need to flush a transmission out and it can do more harm than good. Shops that tout transmission flushes are usually out to get in your wallet. On your transmission problem, that light came on probably because I bet there's a temperature sensor in the pan. I would check the vent on the transmission to make sure it's not stopped up with crud. It might be that simple.

It doesn't look burnt, it looks light pink more than red, it looks thinned if you know what I mean. I didn't actually smell it but there wasn't a burnt smell lingering or I would have noticed. And no it isn't slipping, she said it was running perfectly but the light came on.

Does it look milky pink like pepto bismol? If it does, the transmission cooler in the radiator might be compromised letting coolant into the transmission.

You could always pull the pan and check for shavings. You'd be out a few bucks for a new gasket/fluid and a couple of hours of time.

I'd also check your coolant level/color. Is it possible the radiator has started leaking coolant into the radiator lines? That could explain the bubbly transmission fluid, overheating, and high level.

Edit: Yeah....what SS said.

Thanks, good to know a flush is a waste, I'll check the vent tonight, not sure where it is exactly. I assume somewhere off the case. Not milky pink, pretty much the right color but watered down.

The rad was down recently so it is a possibility but how would I know if it's actually leaking into the trans lines?

Thanks, good to know a flush is a waste, I'll check the vent tonight, not sure where it is exactly. I assume somewhere off the case. Not milky pink, pretty much the right color but watered down.

The rad was down recently so it is a possibility but how would I know if it's actually leaking into the trans lines?

It normally goes both ways. Check the coolant and see if it has a funny color. Smell the transmission fluid and see if it has a different odor than regular fluid. I'm sure there are other ways, but it'll probably depend on how big of a leak (if that's the problem) there is.

It normally goes both ways. Check the coolant and see if it has a funny color. Smell the transmission fluid and see if it has a different odor than regular fluid. I'm sure there are other ways, but it'll probably depend on how big of a leak (if that's the problem) there is.

I just topped up the rad the other day, it was low so nothing much to see. It's Dexcool, the red stuff so the color isn't all that far off the trans fluid which doesn't help. I'll have a look at everything tonight when I get home.

-
Back