Jegs Wheel and Tire Kit...

-

Richard McLaughlin

1974 Duster 340
Reaction score
Hey guys,

JEGS Performance Products 66151K: Sport Star Black Spokes w Polished Lip 15" x 4" / 15" x 8" Wheel and Tire Kit | JEGS

I just came across wheel and tire kit from JEGs, looks pretty cool to me. Anyone have any experience with these rims and/or tires? (Rims/Tires will be my next upgrade after my 3.91/suregrip gets installed in the next few weeks).

My car is a street car (maybe see the 1/4 mile track once every year or so), however I do prefer the frag car look (skinnies in front, bigger tires out back). Would these front tires be to slim?

My bolt pattern is 5X4.5 so that would need to be changed (but the 4.5 back spacing seems OK)

I was also looking for black rims, so this fits the bill for that as well.

Thanks,

Richard
rims.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting for replies.

I'm looking at a different set of wheels from Jegs. The price is so low I'm scared. A wheel failure is bad news and I've seen more than one wheel fail.

Looks like a hell of a deal, if I didn't have the tubbed rear I'd give that a shot in a heartbeat!

Laws vary from state to state here, although you're more likely to be stopped for over-sized tires rather than under-sized in my area.

Laws vary from state to state here, although you're more likely to be stopped for over-sized tires rather than under-sized in my area.
I meant for steering etc... I never drove a narrow front tire before. Maybe I would not even notice the difference.

You can select the contents of the kit individually with the same wheels in 5x4.5 bolt pattern for the same price, FYI.

when i built my 15x8 steelies rears for my 69 dart , i set them up 1/2'' neg offset (inward) .

DSC03651.JPG

"Backspacing", meaning the distance between the mounting flange and the back of the wheel. This can also be expressed in "offset".
Ok. So the higher the number the more the tire sits in towards the middle of the car correct? So your wide tires dont stick out so much? But if you go in to far you run the risk of hitting the leaf spring?

Ok. So the higher the number the more the tire sits in towards the middle of the car correct? So your wide tires dont stick out so much? But if you go in to far you run the risk of hitting the leaf spring?

Yupp, but don't forget to take into account the width of the wheel. A wider wheel with the same backspacing as a narrower wheel will sit the same distance from the suspension but the wider wheel will also occupy more space towards the fenders/quarters.

I couldn't say because I don't have a duster, but if you wanted to get a better idea you could take off your wheel and measure the distance from the brake hub to the wheel opening and hub to suspension (or whatever will interfere first, could be frame).

I guess i should take my rallye rim off and measure the back space on that. 255/60/15 on there now.

255/60R15 fit much better on a 8'' rim than a 7'' rim, the top of the tire runs flatter with an 8'' while being rounded out on a 7'' rim. A 8'' rim fits with no problems in the rear Duster fender well.

I am pretty sure that the backspace on my 8'' rims is 4.25 or 4.5''.

Last edited:
15x8 with 4 1/2" backspace on my 72 Swinger with 245x60 ... About an inch clearance to the springs. For peace of mind I rolled the fender lip a bit.

-
Back