job careers

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
Well I'm really not going anywhere where I am right now at my job and I have no idea what I wanna do as a career...

I want to do something that I know I won't be effected by the economy I.e get laid off, loose work hrs, etc something I know I can benofit from, and has good benifits...

Right now I make 11.40$ an Hr 40 hrs a week as a cook at a hospital well 330$ ish a week isn't really cutting it of course it is now due to living with perents and havn't a family yet, and the benifits are good but what is out there thats better.

My friend use to do refrigeration and he made 700$ + a week and saved, saved, and bought a house , built a nice tocoma truck, and owns a infiniti as a dd..

I'm thinking about refrigeration it sounds very Kool and pays very well. What careers do you guys do. Or what are some that pays well with good benifits.. I'm willing to learn and work hard as long as it pays off...

A lot of jobs in medical field that pays well,Along with Plumbing and Electrical work.

if I had the answers to those questions i'd be rich with self help books

up here skilled mechanical trades are the ticket right now - machinist, millwright, welding, refrig. and stationary engineers etc. especially around resource based companys or energy sectors -.....but in so cal i don't know....but you always need energy

The construction industry pay well especially if you can get into a union trade, I just retired from the operating engineers,but tuff to get in as is most of the trades right now.
The company I was with for 18 years was in the oil refineries alot. Good luck on you search this state of the economy isn't helping either. Try to figure something out and go after it cause they won't come looking for you.!!!!!!
Moe

You can always go active duty military and retire from it. 20 years give you 50% of your base pay and every year after 20 adds an additional 2.5% to you retirement check.

Stick with what you have for the time being, trades are always needed, computer related jobs are always needed, cna type medical fields are always hireing [i have a friend that's a cna he earns 31$ hour at a rehab facility] but whatever you choose the pay scale[what guys used to earn 5-10 years ago has gone away in this sorry economy] make sure if you go to school to learn a trade that you will be able to get a job in that field,nothin worse than going to trade school and having to pay back a loan while workin at mickey d's. I am a licenced Aircraft/Powerplant mechanic [the schools say there are lots of jobs earning 50-60k a year] i say horsecrap i have not worked on aircraft since 1994 [there are jobs but i don't want to live in bumf--k Kansas] i have worked for the largest boat trailer manufacture in the southeast for the last 15 years, no benifits unless you pay for it or contribute to your 401k [no help from company]. I'm 52 years old and too tired to start over i make close to 14$hr. on 40 hrs a week, i do have 4 weeks vacation and can come and go as i please so they are lax about that stuff. I have never earned more than 30k in a year but we do ok not comfortably but ok,make sure you do all your homework before taking training/or a new job, the grass always looks greener till ya jump the fence and land on a cow patty.

That's what I'm scared of.... I know I can do better and make more $$$ but Idk where and what and don't want to loose the job I have now over a guessing leap of careers

I hear ya about the job market....I am a machinist and around here its very hit or miss...for the last couple years its been on for a few months and then laid off for a couple...I am sure as hell sick of it...and I blame nafta...and our government for the crappy job situation...but it has pushed me to look around in areas I never thought of....next month I am going to work for a drilling company as a helper...pay is good...work is hard but it pays the bills...sucks I will have to be gone out of state for 20 days of the month...but we all gotta sacrifice a little to get ahead...oh and they pay for trael and lodging...

ND is Booming they are paying $80,000 a year for truck drivers

-
Back