job loss

-

ducter

Reaction score
My grandfather started this paving company shortly after WWII, the business went to my father when my grandfather retired, then onto my brother in law with me next in line. My brother in law stopped in and basically at the end of the year the business is done, just can't continue and he is going to sell out.

I can't say I am surprised as I have watched my income in the past years be cut to less then half and we are going pretty good spells with out working but I kept thinking any day now it's going to improve, it always had. I was wrong. Now, at 42 with 26 years at the same job I will be looking for a new career. I never finished highschool as my father got sick and I had to start working to help out, my resume is basically non existent, financially we are tapped out after paying this months bills, and now, knowing works all but done I am not sure what to do. To make it better my backs been out for the last week and I can't get out of the bed. I just want to ask for you all to keep us in your prayers and that things will work out, and soon.

Thanks

You got it buddy. Really sorry to learn this.

I wish I had more work right now. I would hire you to work for me repairing and installing appliances. Not sure of where you are located in NC.

Praying for you. Stay positive and have faith. This could lead to things being much better. If you believe it, you can achieve it.

This sucks! I hope something works out for you.

I hate to see the loss of the family business. Regardless of education, i think you'll get things under control. Thoughts and prayers sent for the holidays.

................Very sorry to hear this............I wish u very good luck in finding another job soon....................kim......

Thanks for the encouraging words, it is helpful. Sometimes life throws curves and they are at the worse times but I know it will work out somehow it's just not what I envisioned.

805mopar, I have thought about it but honestly the toll of almost 30 years construction has took on my back I welcome a change, if I could find a job paving to get us on our feet for a bit I would definitely consider it.

Dustermaniac, I live in Durham. Oddly we moved from Fuquay about 5 years ago to be closer to my work. If you happen to need a hand sometime I would be grateful but understand it's rough all over.

Oklacarcollecto, the company is about 40k upside down currently according to my brother in law, normally in this kind of business you make the money in the summer, spring and fall to carry us through the winter, just hasn't happened the past few years.

I watched several other companies go under in the past few years and thankful we lasted this long. God is in control and will supply my needs, just hard not knowing how.

Hang in there. I suffered through the same thing back in Feb. took me a while but I found a job. God doesnt close one door without opening another
Best wishes and so sorry to learn of this right before the holidays.

Keep a positive attitude. A GED should not be hard to obtain for a person with your experience.
Sometimes we help ourselves out with not even knowing it.
Your posting on this forum (and others) can help you in your networking as you can see in this thread.
Things have a way of working out.

Prayers for you and family.

My grandfather started this paving company shortly after WWII, the business went to my father when my grandfather retired, then onto my brother in law with me next in line. My brother in law stopped in and basically at the end of the year the business is done, just can't continue and he is going to sell out.

I can't say I am surprised as I have watched my income in the past years be cut to less then half and we are going pretty good spells with out working but I kept thinking any day now it's going to improve, it always had. I was wrong. Now, at 42 with 26 years at the same job I will be looking for a new career. I never finished highschool as my father got sick and I had to start working to help out, my resume is basically non existent, financially we are tapped out after paying this months bills, and now, knowing works all but done I am not sure what to do. To make it better my backs been out for the last week and I can't get out of the bed. I just want to ask for you all to keep us in your prayers and that things will work out, and soon.

Thanks
God knows what you and your family need......this may look like a pitfall for you but I believe God has a plan for everything and everyone.....just maybe this is an opportunity for you to do something that you have always wanted to do. A new opportunity! God never closes one door without opening another........He hears your prayers and ours too!

Sorry your down and out at this time. Prayers sent that your back heals and some honest work comes your way.

May you rest in peace!....Remember, depression could lead to suicide so try not to go there!

Thanks but that's not something I would ever consider. My wife, my 4 children are to precious, as well as myself to me to ever think of that. It's my job, my families financial well being but so much more to this life then that.

Thanks again for the concern though, to all you. It means a great deal.

Man I feel for you, I am also 42 and been in the bodyshop since High school. 7 years ago started my own shop. To make a long story short the building I had my shop in was sold and the new owners had no interested in renting my space to me, felt like the last 6years were for nothing. I could of moved, but the house ,kids ect. made it difficult so I gave a different occupation a chance, in the Farming industry its been 8 months and at first I felt like a fish out of water. It has its ups and downs but I am adjusting. Don't limit yourself, in the wisdom of Joe Dirt "You got keep on keepin' on"

First off, sorry to hear of your plight. That being said, as others have pointed out, God has a plan for you...get on it. Life is as short as the wick you are given and for some reason He does not want you to pave roads anymore. Start with short term, labor work to put food on the table. Unemployment as a bridge? Hell I have 10 deer tags to fill but can't find a deer or I would process them for you. Good luck!

-
Back