John Deere Hygard hydro/transmission fluid?

-

67dartgtgo

Reaction score
Anyone ever here of using this in their transmission? Found a YouTube vid of a guy that used this in his A518. I believe he said he used 2 gallons of this with 2 quarts of dot3 fluid if I remember correctly.
I know JD lubes are supposed to be superior as they’re used in HD tractor applications but I only use Hygard in my JD 318.
Going to see if I can find the vid again and post here.
Thanks

Not sure of mixing. Hyguard is not what I've heard used. Deere's hydrostatic fluid is thicker then type F thinner then hyguard. Supposedly guys have been using it too tighten up their converters when racing. It is not hydraulic oil, it is the fluid they use for hydrostats where the hydrostat has it's own resevoir separate from the hydraulic system on John Deere combines. We are thinking about trying it in our 9" turbo action 5k converter on the street... but have not tried it yet.

I am all for experimentation and finding new/better methods of about everything but I would question this in a transmission unless someone with an engineering degree and a background in automatic transmissions told me otherwise. Not saying it doesnt work, but I don't think I would risk my trans to see if it works or not.

I am all for experimentation and finding new/better methods of about everything but I would question this in a transmission unless someone with an engineering degree and a background in automatic transmissions told me otherwise. Not saying it doesnt work, but I don't think I would risk my trans to see if it works or not.
That's just it isn't it? lol.
Wondering if this kind of experiment has been tried and or confirmed without damage and just what the benefits might be. Any trade offs if it could be used without damaging anything.

I think that is what my buddy uses in his race car. Some kinda JD fluid. Has dipped into the 9s a few times. Kim
according to the youtube vid it stiffens up the shifts and he's using it in his daily driver.

How much is the JC fluid compared to say, Dexron III, or VI? What can the JD fluid do that Dexron does not or cannot? Those are my questions.

How much is the JC fluid compared to say, Dexron III, or VI? What can the JD fluid do that Dexron does not or cannot? Those are my questions.
I wouldn't say it's all that much more expensive and I have those same questions. Along with, is there more protection from using the JD product as compared to Dextron 4? Which is what I usually use.
Hyguard runs from $20 to $22 a gallon.

My buddy used it in his 8 in. He said that it tightened it up off the hit and held it better in the top end. 2/10s and 3 mph faster. The converter was too small for the weight of his car. 4100 lbs. and didn’t couple properly. 2 liters of dexron to color the hygard. Kim

I wouldn't say it's all that much more expensive and I have those same questions. Along with, is there more protection from using the JD product as compared to Dextron 4? Which is what I usually use.

Protection "against what" that any of the Dexron doesn't give? I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just trying to figure out why it seems someone is always trying to reinvent the wheel. From selling auto parts.....including hydraulic fluids, I remember John Deere fluids being quite a bit higher. But I don't remember "which" JD fluid that was, either.

What I'm gettin at is, if you're doin somethin where the transmission will burn up using Dexron, IMO, it's gonna do the same with any other fluid. I just "don't see" fluid being the "one thing" that saves a transmission.

My buddies tranny is from John Cope. I refreshed it after 400 runs. Well sort of, just resealed it. Next weekend I’ll take it apart again after another 400 runs. This time for a super sprag install also. Kim

Protection "against what" that any of the Dexron doesn't give? I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just trying to figure out why it seems someone is always trying to reinvent the wheel. From selling auto parts.....including hydraulic fluids, I remember John Deere fluids being quite a bit higher. But I don't remember "which" JD fluid that was, either.

What I'm gettin at is, if you're doin somethin where the transmission will burn up using Dexron, IMO, it's gonna do the same with any other fluid. I just "don't see" fluid being the "one thing" that saves a transmission.
John deere Hygard VS ATF F
This thread's from yellowbullet racing forum where alot of guys use power glides and use hygard in them...they probably tear their trans apart pretty often anyway....i'm not sold either rusty was just very curious after the youtube vid.

John deere Hygard VS ATF F
This thread's from yellowbullet racing forum where alot of guys use power glides and use hygard in them...they probably tear their trans apart pretty often anyway....i'm not sold either rusty was just very curious after the youtube vid.

I have no doubt "it works" because the Torqueflite will literally run and run WELL using 30 weight motor oil. Lots of people do that, too.

Yes, they will virtually run on anything. Years ago I blew a tranny line. It rubbed thru. Slid some rubber hose over it. In went 4 quarts of 30 weight oil. Drive it all summer like that. Kim

I think probably all of us have fallen victim to trying out something people swore was the "heat" only to find out it wasn't. Again, absolutely not saying this is the case and I hope it works, but I am overly pessimistic when it comes to things like this. I will watch it and see, maybe it is "all that".

A neighbor had dirt contaminate the hydrostat on his powered rear axle of his 2 year old JD combine. He spent 40k replacing everything. There is a reason why the quality of the oil in hydrostats exceeds a automotive applications $$$. Different oil additive's give different wear properties as well change the foaming, friction, and heat and flash point properties.. But the reason to try JD hydro fluid is simply for the viscosity. Its thick enough that it tightens up the converter... But its thin enough that the transmission operates as normal. Now if you tried to drive it in the winter with thicker oil...its too thick and won't work right until it gets warmed up. You could easily screw it up. For a racing application I see nothing wrong with trying it. In the southern states you'll probably get by in a daily driver. Just don't visit anyone up North in the winter.

Last edited:
Oils have different properties for different applications. JD recommends their brand because it has been developed and tested for their tractors which may run 12 hours a day [or more]. And they have to warrantee them. I consider them smarter than I am.

Chrysler tried variable rate trannies for a while. Special ATF was $20 plus a quart. The ATF for their regular trannies is ATF+4. The reason is that the lock up part of the converter engages smoother. Put the wrong oil in the wet clutch of a Harley and the clutch will slip forever.

There are experiments people can try, [within certain bounds].

-
Back