John - from Vancouver, BC

-

Cdn17Sport6MT

Reaction score
Hello All. I'm from Vancouver - and I'm a bit of a "motorhead". I don't currently have a Mopar but I DID for some 28 years, ending in 2014. Sorry, it was not "conventional", old-school Mopar Iron... it was an '87 Plymouth Reliant LE 4 dr. Actually, the full name was "Plymouth Reliant Canada K". The car gave me no reason to hate it... and I put about 200,000 km / 120,000 miles on it in those 28 years. The only options it had were: 3 speed with lockup A/T, A/C, and HD Suspension. It had cloth upholstery, a split front bench (with armrest), and it had the spacesaver spare (mounted upright). The trunk capacity was cavernous, the A/C could freeze the nuts off a brass monkey, and it was SUPER reliable. Oh, and the engine was a non-interference design (it could lose its timing belt with punity... no engine damage on spin-down).

By 1986 the stroked 2.2 (now being 2.5 litres) gained single Bosch throttle body fuel injection, and on stroking the 2.2, Chrysler Corp added twin balance shafts under the crankshaft... in a balance shaft "module", chain-driven. They HAD offered the Mitubishi Silent Shaft engine with balance shafts - one high, one low - but Chrysler got 'round the patent infringement issue with adding two LOW balance shafts. Not quite as effective, but certainly smooth enough. Its 4.09" stroke 4 cylinder was not bad at all, and it did not suffer from a lack of bottom end torque with that 4.09" stroke!

What I liked about the car was i) its excellent power rack and pinion steering; ii) its beam axle rear suspension (which had a panhard rod for lateral axle location); iii) its decent damping and ride... no doubt helped by the factory-option "Heavy Duty Suspension", iv) the six passengers-in-a-pinch interior accommodation; and v) the gigantic trunk.

I bought the car in Calgary Alberta in Oct. of 1987... and it was a six month old vehicle with 12,000 km / oh, about 7500 miles... and it was an ex-rental. Almost no one would go out of their way to buy an ex-rental.... but it had the balance of a 7 year / 115,000 km powertrain warranty... I figured that if I found it to be a dud, well, I WAS covered under the warranty. Some 28 years later, when it was finally scrapped - I was sad to see it go.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Once upon a time I believe that Chrysler engineers and automotive design folks knew what they were doing, and were a talented bunch... Currently, I'm not so sure that ANYONE amongst the big three, or beyond, make high quality and simple products, as they mostly-all did back then... Arguable... but thats been my experience.

Plymouth Reliant Canada K.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back